General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

The pinnacle of WHOOPASS. Pics inside...dial up warning!!

Old 05-31-2004, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The pinnacle of WHOOPASS. Pics inside...dial up warning!!

Behold:

The following is a documantation of the last few days that have led up to the near completion of Al's heads. If you are mentally weak, afraid of GM glory, gay, or frightened by big flow numbers, leave now.

The process began with new stock GM LQ9 castings.

First, remove crusty cast iron guides and ream guide boss for new bronze guides:

Install bronze guides:

Next, use diamond hone to attain the correct valve stem to guide I.D. clearance:

Next, remove factory valve seats:

...which look like this when you get done:

After installing the new larger seats (sorry, photographer Al was asleep during this and most of the process) we cut the valve seat for the valves we want to use. In this case, 2.08" for the intake and 1.60" for the exhaust.

Cutting the seats:

Work can then be done to the valves themselves like grinding various backcuts and/or insuring the proper lengths:

At this point, developmental porting can begin. It is important that you have a highly qualified and e******ly talented head porter. Don't try this at home kids. (don't let your neighbor who claims years of experience try it either!) Bono sunglasses a must...:

It is also somewhat important you might say to have a flow bench handy, and someone who knows how to work it:

[IMGhttps://www.tamparacing.com/gallery/data/500/18041mini_me.JPG[/IMG]

When all alse is finished, the heads are milled to achieve the desired chamber volume:

While this process fits nicely into this post, it takes alot longer than it seems....particularly during the porting and flowing phase where we were trying to achieve the target flow numbers. Al's heads were on the flow bench MANY times. In fact, at times I found him hudled into a corner sucking his thumb in a fetal position babbling about being homesick and wondering if we were ever going to be finished. I was able to passify him with one of several computers in the shop where he was able to keep in touch with all of you down here:

The results..........

Flow numbers as follows:

lift Intake Exhaust
.100 75 66
.200 155 133
.300 230 191
.400 285 245
.500 320 272
.550 327 278
.600 335 282

Port volumes:

Intake = 236cc

Exhaust = 87cc

Chamber volume = 64cc (heads milled .040")

Remember, exhaust...

Last edited by Dead Hooker; 05-31-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 03:21 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

Default Re: The pinnacle of WHOOPASS. Pics inside...dial up warning!!

Originally posted by Dead Hooker
[B]Behold:

The following is a documantation of the last few days that have led up to the near completion of Al's heads. If you are mentally weak, afraid of GM glory, gay, or frightened by big flow numbers, leave now.

Scott...you should leave now

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Yeah...

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 05-31-2004, 03:39 PM
Obama is a douchebag

red x's here too.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:07 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

Look again...had to get more space...they are posted all over the net.

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap
Old 05-31-2004, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Force Fed 23
Looks like you've exceeded your limit. If you can zip them and mail them to mustang@tampabay.rr.com I'll host them for you.
Thanks for the offer, but it looks like the site Al chose to host the pics was overloaded seeing as we posted them on about three other boards. He is going to upgrade his account with them and things should be up and running again.
Old 05-31-2004, 05:52 PM

Thats beautiful work. How much volume did you take out of the chamber?