Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Importing FAQ Compilation! (Courtsey of RiceRocket)

Old 03-18-2005, 06:14 AM
THE HAMMER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Importing FAQ Compilation! (Courtsey of RiceRocket)

I decided to do this for ALL of TR. We get lots of threads about importing cars from japan or other places. In the replies EVERYONE says to "use the search button" to find RiceRocket's posts on the matter.

WELL I JUST MADE IT A LOT EASIER.

This link below is to the GOVERNMENT's information on the subject. But its a bit boring.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

Here is a compilation of Rice Rocket's posts that basically sum it up from all angles in a way that is LESS boring, and covers some of the selling and importing "tactics" that people THINK can skirt federal laws.

Basically I'll post a question or statement from a TR user and how RiceRocket Answered it. My comments will be in Orange Bold.

What is the difference in STATE and FEDERAL law when it comes to importing?
Posted by a TR user.
Down here, a car doesnt have to be EPA and DOT legal... all you need is registration and a tag. insurance is cake... how do you think people insure kit cars and one-off's?
Originally Posted by RiceRocket
Registration does not mean jack, and that DOES NOT mean it is legal to drive on the roads. Don't confuse the two.

Registration and tags is STATE level.
DOT AND EPA Compliance is FEDERAL LEVEL!!!

Even though you can get a plate...if the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT finds out your F@CKED. End of story, regardless of how it was shipped in. There are LAWS and PENALTIES for violating this. PERIOD. Anything else is just downright illegal.

According to the DOT, any automobile or automobile component MUST COMPLY with DOT/EPA regulations or it MUST be imported as "Offroad use only". Any automobile or automobile component imported under "OFFROAD USE ONLY" can NEVER be used on an American highway....NEVER.

-Charles

--------------------------------------------
What are the steps that a car has to go through in order to be Legal? What is the "Vehicle Eligibility list"

Originally posted by a TR member
so what does it take to make an imported car legal. or why cant the pulsar OR ANY FOREGIN CAR be legal and the skyline can?
Response from Rice Rocket

Motorex started off by petitioning the NHTSA. If your petition isn't immediately thrown out, it goes to petition review. During the petition review, you are allowed to import a few samples for dismantling, test fitting, and crash testing. The "non-conforming" cars must be modified by a RI and an ICI ONLY. In fact, at the time the Skyline was petitioned, Motorex wasn't even a RI. They hired another experienced RI to assist them (Motorex is now a RI). After all the petitions, applications, documentation, and crash testing, the NHSTA and EPA allowed the cars on the "Vehicle Eligibilty List". This means that can now be imported becuase they have been proven to meet US Spec (after modification). To protect it's intrests, Motorex had some of there "conversion materials and techniques" classified as "propietery". This is why nobody else imports them but Motorex. If somebody else choose to import the Skyline legally, than they would have to crash test them as well.

Funny enough, one conversion slipped past the EPA. OBD2. It seems that the 95+ (or is it 96+?) Skylines are not fully OBD2 compliant. Skylines in other countries are not OBD2, so there is no ECU for OBD2. The Government has restricted motorex from importing anymore "OBD2" cars till they create there own OBD2 package. Cars that were already in the USA were "grandfathered".

BTW, the process can take over a year to get your first "non-conforming" car approved.

So you ask about the Pulsar? The Pulsar obviously doesn't have anything CLOSE to it (body or engine wise). This immediately makes it a "non-conforming" car. That means it must go through all the processes that Motorex went through for the Skyline.

Then comes the next "obvious" question...
What about a civic or integra, they are "comparable", right?
WRONG. A few years ago, manufactures lobbied that a RHD vehicle WAS NOT comparable to a LHD vehicle, and the NHTSA agreed, the crash dynamics are different. That is why you would have to go through the WHOLE non-conforming process like the Skyline.

Okay...so you ask, what about a European LHD model that is comparable, that would work, right? This wuold be your BEST chance, but there are still MANY hurdles that you have to cross. You would still have to petition the car to be added to the "Vehicle Eligibilty List" as well.

Bascially, the VEHICLE ELIGIBILTY LIST is the BIBLE. If a car isn't on it, it isn't allowed UNLESS you petition and have the car added.

Currently, there are no Integras and no 92+ Civics on the list.

Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out.

Charles

Last edited by Slash; 03-18-2005 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:22 AM
THE HAMMER

But what about the FOREGIN cars I see pictures from in miami or orlando?

Posted by RiceRocket
...and all those pictures you posted, of the EVO7's and the Skylines.....

They are all at Port Everglades (FREE TRADE ZONE). Some of those cars have been there for what, over a year, because NOBODY can legalize them. Pictures of cars in a free trade zone doesn't mean squat.

If I remember correctly, EVO7's were once imported illegally by a firm in ORlando, and sold to customers.....than the DOT showed up at their houses to take them back. The owners paid around $35k each, and they never got there money back....the cars just sit in storage. Last I heard, Sean Morris was trying to petition the DOT to add the cars to the eligibilty list, but don't know if it's been approved. This has been going on for about 2-3 years.

Charles
---------------------------------------------------

Kit cars.. Why cant I tear down a foregin PRODUCED car and build it "from parts" or "from a kit". Can I get away with taking a VIN from a similar make and model car from the usa? Can I _____________( insert bullshit scheme here)_____________?

You guys don't like "simple" answers, do you.....you need to make me work. Jeez.

Okay....Here I go.

#1 Kit Car/ Assembled from Parts:

Getting a Title for a vehicle is not the same importing one. Importing deals with 4 groups: EPA, NHSTA, Customs, State DOT/DMV (for registration). Getting a title only involves the State DOT/DMV. With this in mind, EVERY STATE has it's own laws regarding titling cars. Since we are in FLORIDA, I will quote FLORIDA's law on TITLING a "KIT CAR"

State of Florida Statute
319.14 Sale of motor vehicles registered or used as taxicabs, police vehicles, lease vehicles, or rebuilt vehicles and nonconforming vehicles.--

5. "Kit car" means a motor vehicle assembled with a kit supplied by a manufacturer to rebuild a wrecked or outdated motor vehicle with a new body kit.

Okay....anybody with half a brain can see that this wouldn't work.....So under the same idea, what about "ASSEMBLED BY PARTS"? That too is regulated by the state. Here is THAT STATUTE:

"Assembled from parts" means a motor vehicle or mobile home assembled from parts or combined from parts of motor vehicles or mobile homes, new or used. "Assembled from parts" does not mean a motor vehicle defined as a "rebuilt vehicle" in subparagraph 3., which has been declared a total loss pursuant to s. 319.30.

Now this one is not as clear, but let me help you out. When you import a car from Japan, you get a de-registration certificate from the japanese gov't. If you import the vehicle legally, than you go through an RI and an ICI. If you "Bypass" this step, than you import the car as "PARTS ONLY or JUNK". If the vehicle is imported under these pretenses, than it is considered to be just that....PARTS ONLY or JUNK, and can not be "re-assembled" and titled as " Assembled from Parts"

#2 J-Garage:

Yes, J-garage and many others can "SHIP" whatever you like, but they can not help in the "Legalization" of the vehicle. If the vehicle is not "legalized", and you get caught with it on the road, you risk the car being de-ported or crushed.....all that money lost. Think about it.

#3 Vehicles To/From Canada:

Yes, it is true that you can not get a Skyline in Canada. Canada has an IMPORT BAN on vehicles less than 15 years old (I believe it's 15 years), so the Skyline would be illegal in Canada....although now, 1989 would start to be legal. Either way, these must be legalized as well to meet Canadian regulations.

Now as far as bringing a car INTO the USA from Canada. This too is not easy. Canada is still a foreign country, and the vehicle MUST comply to USA regulations. If you can not get a canadian vehicle with documentaion from the manufacturer (wither sticker or letter) stating that it meets US specs, than you can not REGISTER the car in the USA. Canadians are allowed to drive there cars here in the US, but they can't register it here.

#4 Vin Swapping:
Okay....like it takes a genius to figure out this is illegal? Vin Swapping is when you buy 2 cars, 1 JDM, and 1 American of a "similar" model, and switch VIN #'s, usually dismantling the "American" version. VERY ILLEGAL. Nuff said.

Any more questions?

Charles
------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about Canadian Importing? I hear they let cars in after 15 years of age!

Originally posted by a TR member.
couldnt you import an 89-90 r32 to canada have a friend up there register it then sell it to you. since canada has the 15 year old car law and we have the i think its 20 year law?
Originally posted by RiceRocket

Read my post about canadian importing......

And also, US does not have a "20 Year" law.

US states that any vehicle that is imported into the USA MUST meet the standards of Safety and emissions for the model year. Since the NHSTA did not regulate this until 1976, any car made before 1976 is not affected, but every car made after 1976 is....

Charles
Even more Canada Info.

Even MORE info............

Yet people continue to question me....

This is for cars being IMPORTED to the USA FROM CANADA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...nada07032.html

Last edited by Slash; 03-18-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:25 AM
THE HAMMER

Nobody is going to catch me with a VIN swap.. I'll be "under the radar". Nothing bad can happen to ME.

Originally posted by a TR member
so, just for the hell of it, say i got an S15, and i got my hands on, say, a wrecked S14 that still had a clean VIN, and switched the VIN's, and kept the car in florida...
Posted by RiceRocket
ILLEGAL.

Not only is it Illegal, but "WHEN" you get into an accident with it, your insurance company will deny coverages for you and your claim. If you injure somebody, you become 100% liable.

If somebody gets jealous or mad @ you, all they have to do is report the VIN to thr DMV, and they will probably contact you. BTW, VIN Swapping is a FELONY.

Charles
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

More on STATE vs FEDERAL law, VIN swapping, parts, and offroad legal.

Let's review this again:

There are STATE and FEDERAL LAWS that we are discussing here.

Since FEDERAL LAWS supercede any STATE laws, this will make this subject short.

TITLE 49, UNITED STATES CODE

CHAPTER 301 MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY

Sec. 30112. Prohibitions on manufacturing, selling, and importing noncomplying motor vehicles and equipment

1. GENERAL Except as provided in this section, sections 30113 and 30114 of this title, and subchapter III of this chapter, a person may not manufacture for sale, sell, offer for sale, introduce or deliver for introduction in interstate commerce, or import into the United States, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment manufactured on or after the date an applicable motor vehicle safety standard prescribed under this chapter takes effect unless the vehicle or equipment complies with the standard and is covered by a certification issued under section 30115 of this title.

Basically, if the vehicle (OR PARTS) do not CONFORM, they MAY NOT be used on any public roadway.

YES, THIS DOES MEAN YOUR MOTORSWAP IS ILLEGAL. Did you note that most legite parts places state "FOR OFF_ROAD USE ONLY"?

Since Federal law TRUMPS State law...., an S15 MAY NEVER be allowed on a US Highway freely (unless approved non-conforming conversion is performed).

AND VIN SWAPPING IS HIGHLY ILLEGAL!

That is all.

Charles

Last edited by Slash; 03-18-2005 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:42 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

What about the cars that EvolutionImports.net sells? They say they are 'legal'

Evolution Imports cars are NOT inspected by the NHTSA and EPA. The car are shipped to port everglades. You decide to buy it, the car is shipped to the Bahamas (or somewhere out there) and dismantled. The car is shipped back into the USA as parts in multiple containers. You purchase the 'parts' from Evolution Imports. (Note, evolution imports is DONE at this point. They just sold you parts!). You than contract a shop in orlando to re-assemble the car. After the car is re-assembled, you take the 'de-registration certificate' to a title company and they title and register the vehicle. After it is titled, you apply for a replacement VIN. The FLORIDA DMV than issues a 'replacement VIN'. Voila. The car has a florida plate and 'appears' legal.

Florida law 'assumes' the car entered legally, they do not ask for proof. This does not mean it is legal though. Federal Laws 'trump' state laws. The fact is, the car does not meet federal laws. The fact that 'evolution imports' just sold you parts keeps them from any liability in the issue, leaving the liability on you.

Also....feel free to call the EPA or DOT yourself. If it is perfectly legal, than there should be nothing to worry about, right?

NHTSA: 202-366-5291 or 202-366-5323
EPA: 734-214-4100

I personally do not care what you do, it's your option. I only choose to inform you that you may be commiting multiple federal felonies, and that the peneties can be steep.

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 03-31-2005, 06:11 PM

What about the cars that EvolutionImports.net sells? They say they are 'legal'

Evolution Imports cars are NOT inspected by the NHTSA and EPA. The car are shipped to port everglades. You decide to buy it, the car is shipped to the Bahamas (or somewhere out there) and dismantled. The car is shipped back into the USA as parts in multiple containers. You purchase the 'parts' from Evolution Imports. (Note, evolution imports is DONE at this point. They just sold you parts!). You than contract a shop in orlando to re-assemble the car. After the car is re-assembled, you take the 'de-registration certificate' to a title company and they title and register the vehicle. After it is titled, you apply for a replacement VIN. The FLORIDA DMV than issues a 'replacement VIN'. Voila. The car has a florida plate and 'appears' legal.

Florida law 'assumes' the car entered legally, they do not ask for proof. This does not mean it is legal though. Federal Laws 'trump' state laws. The fact is, the car does not meet federal laws. The fact that 'evolution imports' just sold you parts keeps them from any liability in the issue, leaving the liability on you.

Also....feel free to call the EPA or DOT yourself. If it is perfectly legal, than there should be nothing to worry about, right?

NHTSA: 202-366-5291 or 202-366-5323
EPA: 734-214-4100

I personally do not care what you do, it's your option. I only choose to inform you that you may be commiting multiple federal felonies, and that the peneties can be steep.
the cars dont get revined!!!it uses its chassis code as the US vin
Old 03-31-2005, 06:34 PM
THE HAMMER

Touche...

Although I know RiceRocket's counter to that, i'd prefer if he put it in his OWN words.
Old 04-02-2005, 12:05 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Originally Posted by celm
the cars dont get revined!!!it uses its chassis code as the US vin
Where did I say the cars get 're-vined'? I didn't. I stated that a 'replacement vin' is ordered. If you read Florida state law, you will see that as long as the car has it's unique identifiable number still permantently attached (ie plate in the engine bay), than a florida replacement VIN can be issued (using the same number from the plate under the hood and title).

Charles

Old 04-02-2005, 12:45 PM

hey charles i hear Motorex is taking deposits for a skylines.you should get in on it
Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 PM
THE HAMMER

hey charles i hear Motorex is taking deposits for a skylines.you should get in on it
I dont see how this is relevant to anything in this thread at the moment...

Clem... It still remains to be seen how you will make the EPA accept your cars as emissions legal, and make the DOT say they are crash tested.

Charles filled me in on your whole stragety about dissassembling the cars, moving them out of country, and then back in to orlando for assembly to produce a "finished" car from "parts". Sure it dodges the law and makes it harder to be noticed, but EPA law states that any vehicle that is assembled from parts has a manufcaturer aka "the assembler in orlando". And thus, that manufacturer has to meet DOT and EPA regs. Which they dont...

I'm still not seeing where you will be recieving a letter from the EPA and DOT saying that you are 50 state legal to sell those vehicles for street use. I'm with charles, its just "sidestepping" the law, not obeying it.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:01 PM

i never said that the parts i sell are 50 state DOT and EPA legal
Old 04-03-2005, 01:11 PM
THE HAMMER

i never said that the parts i sell are 50 state DOT and EPA legal

Then they arent street legal! Plus they arent "parts" after you "assemble" them again..
Old 04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Frank...quit while you are ahead. First...you have several people that EI owes from the whole 'EVO7' deal.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...lution+imports

Let's check the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
http://www.orlando.bbb.org/newsearch...07330012002719
Customer Experience
Based on BBB files, this company has an unsatisfactory record with the Bureau due to unanswered complaint(s).
you guys never learn....
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

OUT OF PATIENCE, AND OUT THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS
#67947217 - 03/31/05 10:44 PM
Recently(well actually since October)
I bought an R33 GTR through a company called Evolution Imports, out of Orlando/Ft.Lauderdale, Florida. The entire process was only supposed to take around 4-5 weeks, but the company insured itself through the contract, 10 weeks. Well the 10 weeks went by, which turned into 4 and now 5 months( 6 months the 25th of this month, April) NO CAR.
The company offered to give me a refund more than a month ago and I took the offer. They sent me a check for my money- THE CHECK STILL WONT CLEAR. The company has promised me my money several times, and to this day I still dont have it. I called the branch manager of the bank Evolution Imports uses, and they tell me, that the particular account has never seen a dime. Im writing this post mainly in the security of everyone- on, and off this board- so no one will go through what Im going through right now. Ive contacted the State Attourney General's office and have an arrest warrant standing by for the man in charge of the operation. Basically, he needs to come up with the money ASAP. The company as I said has told me time and time again what days I should have had my money. I trusted the money would be in my hands for the past month, and I've also lost deposits on "real existing cars" that Id planned on buying upon recieving my refund. Apparently, this exact situation has happened to 4-5 other people from what the State Attourney G's office tells me. All I can say about this whole thing is, SPREAD THE WORD! DO NOT USE EVOLUTION IMPORTS.
DO NOT USE EVOLUTION IMPORTS.
Until I get my money back I'll change this post, which I have on about 30 other national boards.
Thanks and goodluck to all soon-to-be GTR owners!

TAKE THIS ADVICE SERIOUSLY- THIS CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE, IM LIVING PROOF.
I suggest you take your scam somewhere else....
Charles

Last edited by RiceRocket; 04-04-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:34 AM

Frank...quit while you are ahead. First...you have several people that EI owes from the whole 'EVO7' deal.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...lution+imports

Let's check the BBB (Better Business Bureau).
http://www.orlando.bbb.org/newsearch...07330012002719

you guys never learn....

I suggest you take your scam somewhere else....
Charles
oh yeah,we are a bunch of scammers allright charles
would scammers refund money!!!
we just like to scam people, we refunded his $.i didnt know scammers do that
Old 04-11-2005, 09:42 AM
THE HAMMER

Certianly they would if under legal pressure.....

Fact is... There are more threads out there on the internet of customers who were not happy, lost their cars, or had other bad things happen than there are success stories (ive not seen ANY success stories).

If I was your teacher I wouldnt be giving you an A+.. You'd be recieving a D at best (and thats if you come up with twice as many good as ive seen bad!)

that'd be 66%!

I just dont see you being able to generate enough trust with your consumer base to generate much positive business.

Last edited by Slash; 04-11-2005 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:56 AM

its like any type of used car business or any business.you have your happy customers,and your not so happy.and you know that 99% of people that get something and love it,we dont go around spreading the chear.but if it was something that we werent happy about it, we make it known.cause that our nature

also this kid didnt mention that we sold his old skyline for him cause he wanted a newer one,we paid for the advertising for it.we didnt charge him anything to do it.we also when the car first got delayed that we will give him is $ back,but he said he wants to wait.then he wanted his $ back and then he wanted to wait.after playing musical chairs for a wile.he was like just give me a check to hold i wont cash it.so we did that!!but if we were to scam,we could had easy filed bankrupt and then came out with a new name and clean books

Last edited by celm; 04-11-2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
THE HAMMER

I havent seen any happy customers... This kid is the BEST example ive seen ONLY becuase he got his money back! Thats not even a customer anymore, thats a temporary investor (he gave money, and got it back with no exchange of property).

Again, show me some success stories of people who have recieved a vehicle. (I wont even ask you to show me the federally legal ones.... Just show me a delivery that worked).
Old 04-11-2005, 01:38 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

these are simple instances that can easily be found. The point is, you guys make a business out of trying to rip people off. why don't you just go away? People on TR are broke.

Charles

Old 04-11-2005, 06:34 PM

these are simple instances that can easily be found. The point is, you guys make a business out of trying to rip people off. why don't you just go away? People on TR are broke.

Charles
to start off dont talk for other people!!!you dont know them or there finances.if you only knew how many emails i get a day from TR members asking me what i have what can i get.we just bought another R34 GTT.and guess what forum he is from .so you think you know your members,i dont think so!! Just because you cut and past stuff from the DOT web site ,doesnt mean you know what you are talking about
Old 04-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Slash
I havent seen any happy customers... This kid is the BEST example ive seen ONLY becuase he got his money back! Thats not even a customer anymore, thats a temporary investor (he gave money, and got it back with no exchange of property).

Again, show me some success stories of people who have recieved a vehicle. (I wont even ask you to show me the federally legal ones.... Just show me a delivery that worked).
www.victorbrant.com

thats a EI car

and you know why no one talks about there cars.there tired of jealous people like you giving them shit about there cars.AND DONT EVEN TELL ME THAT IF YOU CAME ACROSS THAT JDM CAR YOU ALWAYS WANTED YOU WOULDNT TAKE IT!!!

Last edited by celm; 04-11-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:08 PM
THE HAMMER

Ok... Theres one car. We are up to like a 4% success rate, and its still not legal...