Vintage Street Racer Project

Old 10-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Rojya Productions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread, i'll be watching
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Scissor me timbers!

Thats cool.Always been a big fan of cars like that.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:40 PM
WHO? ME?

OK, a little update. My business has started taking off so I've been extremely busy with other people's cars. I moved down the road to save a bit on the rent, and I've finally started back on the Daytona.

I bought a Kleer-View washer bottle and National Parts Depot in Ocala (FL) as I was passing by. With tax it was only $45.74. I ordered a fan clutch from SASCO, but I haven't seen the part or the final bill with shipping yet, so I haven't added this to the total yet. I have some parts in the bed of my truck to have powdercoated. I stopped at Automotive Engineering in Clearwater while I was out there and spent another $25.64 for hi-temp caliper and drum paint (aluminum and black).

I'm working on some of the stuff that's already been pulled off the car. As I have front engine stuff removed, this is what I've been starting with. The items for the powdercoater are;

Radiator Support
(2) Grille Brackets
Cooling Fan
Water Pump Pulley
Alternator Bracket
Power Steering Bracket
A/C Compressor Brackets

These are all being done in semi-gloss black. Yes, I know the fan is reddish orange, but the engine is going to be red. I'm looking for a little color contrast. I'll post some pictures up when they get back from the powdercoater.

I'm a little nervous about the powdercoating. This is someone who comes recommended, but I've never used him before. Why am I worried? For a place that's suppose to be open until 5:00PM, it was closed at 3:00PM [V].

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Cost to Date: $2125.60
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM
I can fix your bullshit

nice `project
Old 03-08-2008, 03:20 PM

a/c is good.i built my 66 pontiac in pretty much this same theme,big cam ,headers,factory mags,bigger motor and 4 barrel carb off of a 70 judge.should have kept the a/c system though.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
WHO? ME?

Originally Posted by redcoats1976
a/c is good.i built my 66 pontiac in pretty much this same theme,big cam ,headers,factory mags,bigger motor and 4 barrel carb off of a 70 judge.should have kept the a/c system though.
I wasn't going to put air conditioning in it, but the car will spend 2-3 weeks in the southeast and southwest (AZ, Death Valley, etc.) on it's maiden voyage. Too hot in June to not have A/C.

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Old 03-27-2008, 04:57 PM
WHO? ME?

I managed to score an NOS Realistic (Radio Shack) 8-Track tape player. It's in the original box with all the necessary equipment (wiring, brackets and instructions).

I'll be looking for '60's rock tapes up until 1968. If you ever wanted to clear out your closet, now's the time.... I also received the fan clutch from SASCO the other day. I hope to have my parts back from the powdercoater by tomorrow.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 AM
WHO? ME?

I got the eight pieces back from the powdercoater. What was sent was the radiator support, the two grille brackets, the fan blade, the water pump pulley (three pieces, and the engine plate that mounts between the engine and transmission. The cost was $100. The parts look good, but...

They were requested to be done in satin black. After I was told they were done, I had called a couple days later to see if someone would be there so I could pick them up. I was told there was a small problem. They had been powdercoated gloss black . He said he could scuff them up and powdercoat them the correct color. I assumed they would be reblasted, but they were not. They now have a double coat of powdercoating.

On a radiator support I don't find this to be a problem. On moving parts like the pulleys and fan I'm not so sure. The finish looks fine so I'm taking a wait and see additude. But even after the recommendations from others, I find that;

A) He has no set schedule. I can't go to his shop and know someone will be there.

B) He obviously doesn't bother to check his order slip before hand.

I figure I'm going to try someone else on the next batch of parts . Here's the pictures.

As mentioned on another post, I order some bolts thru a local speed shop. I left a $26 deposit (cost of the bolts) and I'm waiting to see the shipping charge before adding this amount to the talley.

While at the speed shop, I picked up some wrinkle finish paint for the current set of valve covers and the lubricant recommended by ARP for their bolts. The cost was $18.17.

Old 04-02-2008, 04:16 AM
bbbblllllaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Originally Posted by Swifster
I managed to score an NOS Realistic (Radio Shack) 8-Track tape player. It's in the original box with all the necessary equipment (wiring, brackets and instructions).

I'll be looking for '60's rock tapes up until 1968. If you ever wanted to clear out your closet, now's the time.... I also received the fan clutch from SASCO the other day. I hope to have my parts back from the powdercoater by tomorrow.

My buddy and I found a box about 2ftx2ft and about a foot deep all classic rock at the Englishtown swap meet in NJ .. they currently reside in his 70 challanger << in american gangster! and his 69 chevelle.

They are definatly out there. I would hit up some swap meets and check Ebay.

NICE project man!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:35 PM
WHO? ME?

Well, the bolts I ordered from ARP finally came in and the shipping was $7+. I think I'll try ordering direct the next time I order. Total, with the shipping, a tube of ARP lubricant and ARP thread sealer, came out to $51.30.
As I at least wanted to have one small assembly bolted back together, I pulled out the fan, fan clutch and the bolts to hold it all together.

One thing I've found in buying the ARP stuff is that I may have to adjust the length I order based on the washers. I also found the the bolt size for this isn't right in the parts book. Fortunately, the smaller of the two sizes I ordered were the correct size.
I lubricated the bolts with the assembly lube and torqued everything down to 15 foot-pounds. So now it the fan assembly looks like this.

It's not much, but I can say something went back together...[]