Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

The Miata is dead. Long live the Miata!

Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w0rd
McIlvanie drives a 1991 STS Civic now. He has seen the light. Honda > Ford
his Honda rocks at 1.5L stock engine and 600lb springs he kicks my 91 Honda Azz and I enjoy every second of it because I see the potential my driving has yet to come

Congrats on the Miata, have fun with the upgrade disorder and always sad to lose a Honda.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 06-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Now with less suck

*cough*
Hey! I beat him once.

Elliot is faster than me the OVERWHELMING majority of the time though. There are others that beat me too from time to time. And then there are those that don't usually beat me outright but come close enough in cars that you'd expect to be slower. Albert Popalis comes to mind in his ES Miata on 14" Azenis with almost no suspension mods gets awfully dang close to me pretty frequently.

Cool car Jason, looks like it'll be a lot of fun even when it's not at an autocross.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 AM
The Fat Cobra

Originally Posted by jaball77
Heh. I don't think I'm ready to drop $1600 on a coilover kit. Probably just go with the MazdaSpeed shock/spring/swaybar set and some wider wheels/tires. Too bad there's not something like an STX2 class or something... I don't think anyone runs CSP in CFR-West, which means I'll be bumped to BSP with Charles and his 350Zed. Ouch!

The car right now doesn't really inspire the confidence that the NA did with the Konis and front bar... The NC feels pretty nervous in comparison. Hopefully lowering and more damping will help. It sure is nice to commute in, though.
The MS stuff won't be as good as a quality set of coilovers. Definately worth the money, IMHO.

Who cares about class bumping? Do you really come out to enough SCCA events for it to matter? You could also come out to some of the other autox clubs and not worry about classing, or try NASA's interesting class structure.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Originally Posted by Muddy
The MS stuff won't be as good as a quality set of coilovers. Definately worth the money, IMHO.

Who cares about class bumping? Do you really come out to enough SCCA events for it to matter? You could also come out to some of the other autox clubs and not worry about classing, or try NASA's interesting class structure.
Oh, I'm sure the coilovers are nice, but they're also an extra THOUSAND DOLLARS over the spring/shock combo, haha. Hopefully the aftermarket will pick up and there'll be some cheaper choices. Maybe eventually it'll be like the 1st and 2nd gens where you can get some sleeves and some Konis and rock out for about $800...

Plus I have to commute in this car, so the ~350 lb springs might be a little much for my purposes.

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 06-28-2006, 06:03 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

*cough*
You know, your name actually came to mind, but I wasn't going to give you that ego boost!

Originally Posted by nunyo
Hey! I beat him once.
nunyo, I think you misunderstood. What he's saying is that he's the best on street tires! In the next event's results, let's pay special attention to car numbers 15, 7 and 41.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Rosko
What he's saying is that he's the best on street tires!
Yep, that's what I meant. But I was just joking. Elliott is a great person to compare your results to because he is so consistent.

I didn't know that Tony beat Elliott once though. Can we get a link to those results? Tony probably has it set as his homepage. I tried for 5 years. Probably over 50-60 races with him, and I never did it. I thought that with my new car I would be beating him, but he still killed me at the last couple events.

Jeremy

Old 06-28-2006, 01:12 PM
who stole my intercooler?

yeah but beating elliot when you're not in the same class isn't quite the same. your miata is considerably better to autox than the old rs but it's st2 either way i'm sure it was fun, i'm not leaving sts till i beat him so.... i'm never leaving sts
Old 06-28-2006, 01:17 PM
cone junkie

you have to race before you can beat people Eric...

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 06-28-2006, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy
Nice. All you need is some JICs, alignment, and race wheels/tires and you should do well in CSP. Contact Brian Goodwin and/or Dan Pedroza for setting up the suspension. Brian tracks his on JICs, I believe. Dan is currently running CSP in his NC, but is developing a SC kit and will be moving to SM2.
Dan Pedroza is an awesome good driver, but belief is that he lacks in setup - does things a bit too quickly.

Another suggestion is to contact www.soulspeed.com and he'll give you the real deal on miata.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Now with less suck

Results.

Who knows if it'll ever happen again.