Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

beginner road courses

Old 06-18-2010, 07:43 AM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL, its amazing what you can find on youtube nowadays. I think I remember seeing that on TeeVee back in the day as well, lol.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
bucket

Originally Posted by markstheman365
dam, thanks guys. and if anybody cares, i have a completely stock 5 speed ka24de, in a partially gutted hatch, with d2 drift coilovers.
Novice class is much more centered around learning instead of fair competition. Car-wise it is the most unfair class. I remember showing up and seeing 3 or 4 EVOs signed up for novice.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:44 AM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Doesn't even matter if the car's are mismatched, a lot of noobs are barely even gonna know how to push their cars through even if they were all given ferraris, lol.

Hell, the last auto-x I was at my volvo was continually beating an old guy that came out with his lotus. In the end his best pass ended up beating me by only a fraction of a second.

Any race is a combination of car and driver, and the awesomest car can't make up for a crappy driver on most courses, lol.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
cant slide

after reaserching alot, it seems stock 240s can demolish. i mean, i got some decent coilovers. gonna get some more suspension mods eventually, but my car deffinately isnt unable to do good. guess its about how i do
Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 AM
legend behind the cowl

That's a great attitude! Keep it once you start blaming the car for your success/failure it'll slow down your progress.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Coil overs are a good upgrade, so here are my thoughts on what else you can do to make your car handle better on a typical course.

First is of course good rubber. The difference between a high treadwear average sportscar tire and a sticky performance tire is like night and day. Just as a rule of thumb, the stickiest stuff is going to have a treadwear number around 200 or lower. And the bigger the better, stick the widest rubber your rims are rated for on and hope it doesn't rub anywhere, lol.

The second is having a solid suspension and good alignment. Make sure your camber and toe, front and rear, is where it needs to be and your suspension bushings and struts are in good shape since if your wheels arn't all properly oriented your tire contact with the ground will be compromised which will reduce your traction.

When it comes to suspension mods, roll control is important. While your coil overs were a good upgrade, sway bars are also important since body roll really compromises your traction and control. You'll want to keep the car stable and solid through the turns and trasitions as much as possible without completely destroying the ride of the car assuming your racer is also your daily driver and comfort is one of your concerns.

So there is the big picture for you as you plan on trying to get good at this. If you work on your skills and work on your car, who knows, you might be able to be very competitive and have shitloads of fun while you are at it, lol.

Last edited by S60R; 06-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM
cant slide

ya, i want sway bars, and stuff. i gotta firgure out how to stiffen my coilovers. theres a knob on top of each one to stiffen or soften it. right now its all the way soft, but idk if i just turn the knob. or if the car has to be jacked up or what. ill get a vid of my very first event when i get my new exhaust and solve my misfire (injector i believe). maybe next week ill start looking for events ...

o yea, i need new brake pads all around too
Old 06-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Disregard everything in the previous post for now. You can't learn to autocross WHILE you're tuning a suspension. It's like trying to shoot a moving target. And you really won't know how to tune your suspension until AFTER you've learned to autocross.

If it even half-way handles "okay", leave the car alone. Learn to drive it within it's performance envelope before you try to expand the envelope. Cars don't win autocrosses, drivers do.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:27 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Yeah, I don't mean he needs to do that now, just pointing out that if he is serious a good set of tires should be his first investment and so on.

I've seen some kids go crazy thinking they need to spend thousands on a whole new crazy suspension when just a better set of tires would shave seconds off their times.

If he is gonna come out and play and he has adjustable dampening, I certainly would advise him to go into his stiffest mode when he does.

Luckily I just have to hit a button on my dash to go into teeth chattering mode thanks to my active dealio, lol.

Last edited by S60R; 06-18-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:39 PM
new username is CODYs13

so i do justturn the knob...

woops, im on my freinds profile

new profile is CODYs13