Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

beginner road courses

Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 PM
cant slide

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner road courses

whats a common place or places for a begginer to go practice. it can be autox, road courses, open track, etc. i just got my s13 and have minor mods, and want to get some practice in.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
legend behind the cowl

Autocross first you'll learn a lot
Old 06-16-2010, 03:12 PM
cant slide

ya, im hearing that thats the best start....any noob autocross meets around here..id hate to go up against some freakin beasts, especially since ive been driving rwd for about a week now
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 PM

Just pick an autocross and go. Most of autocross is all about learning, and we're all somewhere on the same learning curve. We all had a first time, and just about anybody at an autocross will be happy to help you.

Plan on getting your ass handed to you, but also plan on having fun and learning a lot!

You'll learn the car control skills doing autocross that you'll need on the track.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM
legend behind the cowl

every local group has novice instruction, as autocross itself is an "entry level" sport designed for beginners, now you can get serious and better and to get to the top level takes a lot. but many move on to other forms of motorsport.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I race sailboats

Yeah almost every organization has novice classes where you'll be competing against other noobs.

I recommend FAST in Tampa, or the SCCA Central Florida Region.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Registered Hater

are there autox classes for noobs that dont go by mods? I mean theres like things where an intake moves you up to some crazy cars. I just have bolt ons, regular ass tires, shitty soft lowering springs... Gotta start somewhere I guess. I fgured the best thing to do was to compete against yourself

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 PM
5 Cylinders Of Fury

Just wrung what you brung and don't sweat the details at first. For your first several races you will be put into the amateur class to start out with. If you know how to throw a car around and yours is well sorted out you might even be able to win your noob category.

Way back when I started you either had to run about seven races to move up to your class, or just win the noob class a couple times. For that reason I got to run the novice class only a couple times, lol.

Having raced a modified porsche for years I'll admit it wasn't easy. in the ASP class I had to run my old school turbo that didn't even have ABS or traction control up against new modified supercars. I sometimes got my ass whooped and had fun anyways, but it was also extra satisfying going home with a first or second place trophy after running up against some of the best of the best.

Crazy Camber, Stretch & Poke; its the new triple-stack-bleacher-wing ricer fad that's all the rage nowadays, lol

Last edited by S60R; 06-16-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22 PM
cant slide

dam, thanks guys. and if anybody cares, i have a completely stock 5 speed ka24de, in a partially gutted hatch, with d2 drift coilovers.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I race sailboats

The novice classes only break down by race tire or street tire, almost no one runs in novice race tire. At least that's true for the SCCA. Not sure how FAST handles novices these days.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT