Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

new to bike tech

Old 05-24-2004, 06:15 PM
gadget man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to bike tech

hey guys ( and gals ), I have just spent a few hours reading through alot of the posts here and I have to say it sounds alot friendlier than in the car chats.

I am not new to bikes just new to bike tech, I post in honda tech and power adders alot. I have been riding off and on since I was a sophmore in high school (1995 ) so about 9 years. my first bike was a 1970 honda super cub ( 49cc ) and I still have it ( for sale ).

I know not much of a bike right, but try it in anchorage alaska when you only have 1 year experience in driving, period.

when I moved down here in 97 I got an 87 honda rebel 250 ( yes a cruiser) and it still runs great less than 9k on the odo original miles

the rebel has done great for me and I have riden some bigger bikes for a few minutes at a time and the rebel is starting to feel like a huffy or schwinn.

I have been off 2 wheels for a while and into my car, 88 honda crx with b16 swap. I had the necessity to get back on the bike again the other day when I was working on my car and needed a part, so I ran to autozone for the part and I think I am having a relapse of the bug that originally bit me.

I got the crx and have been modding it for speed and gadgets but like I said the bug has come back and a bike has the speed I want.

It may be an odd change going from a cruiser like the rebel to a crotch rocket, especially since I said I would never ride one, but that seems to be the way I am going.

the general consensus seems to be that a 600cc is about right for a beginner, which I am not at least not to bikes, but I also like to mod my stuff and the 750 sounds good to. I am 5'7" and 170-180lbs. the bike I decide on will be almost a daily rider.

the only down side is I love my music but I have a degree in electronic engineering so I think I may be able to get some tunes into a helmet ( I would of course limit volume and keep to one ear just for some safety )

I will be coming into some money soon and that plus a trade of my bike may put me up for a decent used bike that I can get the feel of.

I have my endorsement and have since day 1 , my dad was military and you had to take a motorcycle safety course to ride on base. I don't know the name of the organization but it is one that florida accepts in order to get your endorsement without having to take a written exam or anything, I just showed the card and they gave the endorsement.

I have a dumb ? and this will probably show how out of the bike scene I have been, but .......frame sliders???? go easy if I am right it sounds like these serve the same function in a spill as highway bars on a cruiser. but can someone elaborate for me?

I already drive with a defensive/agressive style in my crx and I got that from habits I developed on my bike, and since the crx isn't much taller I get seen by other cars about the same. that said I have always been a little scared of the idea of being able to do a wheelie when your already doing 50mph my question on that is....is it really that easy to do a wheelie, could you do it and fall off accidently by just a twist of your wrist, or does it actually take some pull like riding a regular bike ( huffy/murry/bmx style ).

I wish I could ride out to the fairgrounds this weekend but It's my birthday and I have family stuff to goto but I would like to meet up with some of ya just to shoot the shit on bikes, gawk at your rides and learn about the sport bikes.

I hate long pants and shoes, I prefer shorts and sandals but I also like my skin so i ya'll have input on gear help me out, I have a helmet but I don't think the leather chaps will go with the sport bike too well.

sorry if its a bit long but thought I'd introduce myself and thanks ahead for any input.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 05-24-2004, 06:32 PM
Shake n' Bake

Welcome, ......im just alittle lost on your sig and the cars you listed, dont think they go well together lol......

Old 05-24-2004, 07:36 PM
keyboard hardass

welcome man, glad that you decided to come and join us

yeah frame sliders help save the plastics on a slower speed fall, if you are going faster, most likely the bike will start flipping around and theres no helping it then...

Happy Posting

Green markers = Pay spots
Blue markers = safe free spots
Red markers = not so safe free spots (possible trespass issues)
Old 05-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Righteous

Default ...

Welcome, hope you get into a sport bike soon. Frame sliders help protect your frame, and plastics if you are lucky. As far as wheelies go on a 600, you should be OK. They can easily be done, but take some coordination/skill to get them up and keep em up (be careful in first gear =)

Good luck with you endeavor...

CliffordR6
Old 05-25-2004, 12:30 PM
gadget man

thanks, all. I saved a bunch of the links some of you put in other threads for other bike forums and bike gear and I will be checking it out asap.

I am having a real hard time deciding though between 2 things which are ultimatly getting me to the same spot......the need for speed.

I am in the middle of putting together a turbo kit for the crx and although the money I will come into soon will allow me to finish it ( just barely ) I know that a high 12 street car will only last me for so long before I want more. I also know that I will not be the fastest thing out there and faster than mid 10's on a street car is hard to deal with as a daily driver and is about as fast as I care to go anyway. So the dilema is do I finnish the turbo kit and still need to sink thousands more into the motor to get there or do I use the $2000 plus a trade of my bike, for a sport bike and slowly build the car later when my brole ass gets a better paying job.

I am still doing better than most cars in that $22 fills me up with 93 octane and I get about 30mpg, but with gas going up I need more economy and don't want an electric car

I am not looking for a really new bike since I may end up swapping out later but I do want one that is mechanically sound and looks in relatively good shape.

what are the pros and cons to different manufacturers as far as bikes go, I know about cars but I'm no to keen on bikes. I do plan on resarching the web more on this but your input would help to.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 05-25-2004, 12:31 PM
gadget man

Originally posted by Road Rage
Welcome, ......im just alittle lost on your sig and the cars you listed, dont think they go well together lol......

kinda like driving a ford and ..... anything else

the rebel was a budget thing and was my first real road bike, hell my first real vehicle. I got it when I moved down here in 97 and it has run great ever since. the crx rocks, low 14s ( slow compared to a bike but quicker than a stock 2000+ mustang gt ) with a system that pushes 2000 watts, and gadgets that give me 1 button express open/close on both windows and the sunroof, power locks ( not avail on that car oem ), neons ( not made by dodge ), hidden push button starter and starter kill ( the key will not start the car but must be used to start it ) , shave door kit, remote window control and radio on off from the alarm remote, 30mpg in city on a 15 year old imported jdm engine,I like gadgets

as for the sig I try to do everything that I do that way, but you can twist it, say you want to screw off at work..... do it the best you can, say you want to drive a beater make sure the window only rool up if you pull on the duct tape that you stuck to them....

I just think if you want to do something go all the way, of course thats up to interpritation. some would say if you want a fast car get an enzo ferrari, I say save 100k and use a honda that gets twice the mileage and is a better all around car, just cause you don't do 1 thing the best do everthing really well.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Last edited by kender; 05-25-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:47 PM
gadget man

clint what kind of suzuki is in your sig?
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 05-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Shake n' Bake

Originally posted by kender
kinda like driving a ford and ..... anything else

the rebel was a budget thing and was my first real road bike, hell my first real vehicle. I got it when I moved down here in 97 and it has run great ever since. the crx rocks, low 14s ( slow compared to a bike but quicker than a stock 2000+ mustang gt ) with a system that pushes 2000 watts, and gadgets that give me 1 button express open/close on both windows and the sunroof, power locks ( not avail on that car oem ), neons ( not made by dodge ), hidden push button starter and starter kill ( the key will not start the car but must be used to start it ) , shave door kit, remote window control and radio on off from the alarm remote, 30mpg in city on a 15 year old imported jdm engine,I like gadgets

as for the sig I try to do everything that I do that way, but you can twist it, say you want to screw off at work..... do it the best you can, say you want to drive a beater make sure the window only rool up if you pull on the duct tape that you stuck to them....

I just think if you want to do something go all the way, of course thats up to interpritation. some would say if you want a fast car get an enzo ferrari, I say save 100k and use a honda that gets twice the mileage and is a better all around car, just cause you don't do 1 thing the best do everthing really well.
yea 14's is really going hard , and hate to burst your bubble but 99+ gt's run 13's stock.

Old 05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
BRT OVERKILL

welcome kender...go for a yamaha or honda 600, drive it for a while and when you get sick of it...sell it for what you bought it for. A 600 is more than enough for you now (you won't flip it unless its sprocketed or you goose/clutch it up so don't worry, the most you'll do is pop up a little and go back down)...you should be able to find one for $2000

...oh and clint has a very nice sv 650...

Only babies drink from bottles...
Boosted 00 Si
N/A 93 HB b16/18
Old 05-27-2004, 02:48 PM
gadget man

Originally posted by Road Rage
yea 14's is really going hard , and hate to burst your bubble but 99+ gt's run 13's stock.
you mean to say a 3300lbs car with a power to weight ratio of 12.5lbs per horse will be 1 second faster than a 1800 lbs car with a ratio of 10.8 to 1

the mustang is pulling more weight per horse, and I'll even bring up torque begore you do. yes the mustang has more torque but if it was all that mattered then a viper with stock 525lbs ft of torque would never be beaten by a civic with 500+ hp and lucky if it has more than 400 lb ft of torque, and we have all seen the videos of that actually happening.

don't get me wrong a nice car is a nice car put time and effort into it and it'll move... but a civic can go faster on less money and better economy than any mustang I've seen. for the price of the cobra the honda will be running 10's and still get 25+ mpg. with a full audio system.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001