Bike Tech If it's a two wheeled vehicle and you wanna talk about it, here's your spot

SV's "Spaghetti-Legs"???

Old 02-16-2006 | 06:55 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SV's "Spaghetti-Legs"???

My SV1000S's front end seems to get super squirrelly when leaned over in corners. It seems to be more pronounced in longer sweepers but is still noticable in tighter turns, too. I've tried shifting my weight more to the front and it doesn't seem to help much. It's wobbles enough to make me have to stand the bike up and slow down which sucks horribly when you're already dedicated to a corner. It doesn't have inverted forks, and I've heard that could be the problem, I guess maybe cause of the lack of strength higher up on the shocks where some stress is? I dunno. I also heard that the steering damper could be shot, which wouldn't make much sense to me because the wobble is more slow and rhythmic and I thought the damper is only supposed to restrict quicker snap-like movements. I've also tried increasing the preload and tightening up the rebound/compression settings a little, but it didn't seem to help at all. The front tire is properly inflated and has decent tread, too. Help.

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.
Old 02-16-2006 | 07:06 PM
ZAP yo dumb ass!!!!

That shit's crazy...

RIP Jason Harrill 6-12-06: Died doing what he loved

Old 02-16-2006 | 09:56 PM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

what kinda tires?

thats sounds really weird... has anyone else rode it and see if it does it for them? cause my 97 doesn't have inverted forks either and its the dead nuts in high speed sweepers
Old 02-16-2006 | 09:59 PM
ZAP yo dumb ass!!!!

He's smart. He doesn't let others ride it.

RIP Jason Harrill 6-12-06: Died doing what he loved

Old 02-16-2006 | 10:34 PM
Cafe Racer Extraordinaire

Ha. I was going to let Matt ride it and see if the variable is me. We shall see. I heard the inverted forks thing from a guy with a Bandit that had the same problem and he said it went away when he went to a newer GSX-R front end. So....I still dunno.

Oh yeah, the tires are just some joe blow Michelins. Not Metzlers (sp?) or anything like special, I think just the same model that the SV's come with stock.

"Well, here's the thing".....you will be missed.

Last edited by LogicalRetard; 02-16-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-17-2006 | 03:48 AM
Dragging Plastics

Is your front tire starting to cup? That could be one cause.

Here's a thread I put together on the seductive Cycles forum.

http://www.seductivecycles.com/forum...showtopic=1363

Here's my contribution to the mechanical section for this month. I hope this can help some of you guys sort out your suspension and handeling woe's. I've never been a fan of having your suspension tuned by someone else, using tape measures and zip ties. The only one that truely knows the way your bike is suppose to handle is you, the rider. I know some of you will disagree with me, but what else is new. LOL Take this information for what it's worth to you. Maybe Aaron can add some helpful advice to this post as well.

The first thing to suspension tuning is ask yourself, what do you want your bike to do? The hardest part to suspension tuning is to be honest with yourself as to what you want your bike to do.

Look in your owners manual and find out how to adjust your suspension. Look to see which screws and knobs adjust what aspect of your suspension. If you need help, come see me. A good starting point would be the suspension settings found in the pinned post, titled the same found here:

http://www.seductivecycles.com/forum...?showtopic=237

From there (here's where the honesty part comes in) figure out how you want your motorcycle to handle differently.

Problem:
Bike doesnt turn quick enough

Reason:
Rake angle is too big. Wheelbase is too long. Not enough ride hight, not enough weight on the front tire.

Solution:
Increase rear ride hight by adding shims to your shock or drop forks through triple trees. Start at 5mm increments. Shorten wheelbase by removing a link in the chain and bringing the rear wheel forward.

Problem:
Bike wont hold line, especially exiting corners.

Reason:
Not enough weight on the front end

Solution:
Increase ride height slightly unless the bike already turns quick enough. Otherwise increase front rebound and/or rear compression.

Problem:
Rearend fishtails under braking. (some of this is due to the rear wheel locking up under hard downshifting)

Reason:
Rear wheel is lifting off the ground because the bike is pitching forward.

Solution:
Reduce rear preload, lower rear spring rate, increase rear rebound. Or Increase front compression increase front spring rate, reduce ride hight.

Problem:
Lack of rear tire grip.

Reason:
Not enough weight on rear tire.

Solution:
Pitch the bike backwards by increasing front ride height or lowering rear ride height. Shorten wheelbase.

Problem:
Front feels like it's going to tuck mid-corner

Reason:
Too much weight on front tire or too much front rebound.

Solution:
Pitch the bike backwards by increasing front ride height or lowering rear ride height. Reduce front rebound.

There's alittle more to it, but this should be a good start for you guys who know little about suspension and what effect certain elements of suspension tuning have on your bikes.
Do you have to argue over stupid pointless shit on the Internet?
Old 02-17-2006 | 04:20 AM
Goodtimes!

WOW
Old 02-17-2006 | 05:53 AM
gone fishin

Freakin DogBone Rocks!

One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”

Thomas Sowell (American Writer and Economist, b.1930)
Old 02-17-2006 | 06:44 AM
Banned

You could stiffen the front up a little with some $50 Progressive springs. My Magna used to get a little odd in turns and dive a bit when braking, but after I dropped those springs in and some 10w Belray oil, the fucker was rock solid. A worthwhile upgrade on any standard bike.
Old 02-17-2006 | 08:40 AM
???
Capt."Howling Mad"Murdock

call tom.. I'm pretty sure he'd ride it to see if its u or the bike. if its the bike get it fixed as soon as you can.

frank may be right.. if its had a hard life the shock oil may be done. not sure about messing with the spring rate thou. check the sa boards and see what they say