Cars For Sale / Wanted Post ALL Cars For Sale / WTB here except for HONDA and ACURA. No Parts or Honda/Acura Cars...

2000 silver mk4 golf gls manual tdi turbo diesel 43mpg

Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2000 silver mk4 golf gls manual tdi turbo diesel 43mpg

eigerzoom at hotmail dot com

Hey whats up all.
Love the vw but I have the eternal honda itch.
I helped FJT create the custom rods alot of people run, originally with intention to build an ultimate gas miser vx w/ ycp vitara pistons.
Well, I'm a bit better situated now in FLA (moved down last year) and i'd like to once again try my hand at the pursuit of my goal.

My ideal trade would be:
Obd1 converted crx hf or si
92-95 vx - bing you have my attention (si or 4dr lx w/ sunroof as a secondary potential option)
96-00 hatch or 4dr lx may be a possibility, i'm not a coupe or delsol fan at all.
Japan sold d-series ep3's but they just seem like a pig for that sized motor.
At one point i built a single bang gsr and I learned it makes more sense to keep the weight down and sacrifice the creature comforts.

The vw creature comforts far exceed what any honda has ever offered me.
The seats are more comfy, single press automatic windows up/down for driver & passenger.
The key fob unlocks driver door with one press, and all doors with two presses. Trunk pops with other button.
It can be programmed to roll down your windows as well.
These cars use an immobilizer RFID chip inside the key fob which is identified remotely within a few inches of the ignition, its comforting to know the car will not be stolen.
I had an alarmed captiva blue vx stolen which was the most tragic event.
Another thing I like is that even after you shut off the car and remove the key the windows and sunroof will all still work for a while.
This car isn't perfect but it doesn't have any major issues and is just as reliable as any honda i've owned.
It has 375k miles, but if you know diesels then this doesn't bother you, all maintenance is fully up to date and is mechanically sound.
Owned the car since Feb 2012 and i've put about 25k miles on it and easily $2500 in maintenance and upgrades.
It always ran exceptionally well with biodiesel (48mpg no mods needed) but there aren't any stations down here that I know of.
The front bumper was repaired/repainted by insurance from an idiot who backed up at an atm - very light damage - but perfect now
T-belt was done about 40-60k ago so has another 40k at least left.
New rear brake calipers, ebrake cable, fuel filter, and trans oil (penzoil syncromesh) before moving to FLA, also new valve cover (cant just replace gasket, have to buy whole cover, so dumb)
Clarion cd player detachable w/ sirius xm - i added the optional clarion bluetooth adapter.
A/C blows ice cold, heat blows hot.
black Enkei 17" rims with polished lip and near new tires - stock 15" rims included but wont fit over brake upgrade.
I have an all new oem GLI front brake & suspension upgrade complete which will be installed soon - this ups the front discs to 312mm, from 280mm, and lowers the car about ½-1" all around.
Brake upgrade includes 20k mile hubs (like new wheel bearings), oem GLI calipers painted red, gli caliper brackets, new dust shields w/ hardware, brake lines, new lower control arms, discs & pads.
It has a uhaul towing package and towed a full uhaul 5x8 trailer down from ohio with ease, diesels are awesome.
The mk4 TDI uses a vvt vnt-15 turbo (variable vane) which is built into the exhaust manifold - one piece, there are oem upgrades and hybrids like the vnt-17 and naturally custom builds.
It doesn't have a wastegate but uses an identical piece of equipment which adjusts the vanes based on boost pressure.
Always used castrol full synthetic or liqui-moly full synthetic motor oil and high quality filter not made of paper.

Issues:
EGR valve needs replaced, it coughs emissions onto the valve cover.
Rear bumper has unexplainable cuts and scuffs - hoping someone bumps me.
Rear window wiper motor is siezed
No engine cover (cosmetic cover)
Driver door sensor doesn't work, this means the car locks itself fairly quickly, turn the key on or start the car soon and the alarm wont go off during ignition.
Passenger axle has tear in outer cv boot.
Front calipers pulse during light braking - good time for the brake upgrade.
Windshield is pitted from many miles.
The injectors are likely tired, newer units should yield 48mpg using standard diesel pump fuel and well over 50mpg with a tuned ecu and/or biodiesel.
The car still gets over 40mpg every tank no matter how i drive, i got over 35mpg with the uhaul trailer.

All of these issues I have plans to take care of.
Fair warning: this is a feeler, I love the TDI and will most likely hold out for a captiva blue eg hatch or obd1 crx (preferably not red).

Last edited by eigerzoom; 09-10-2013 at 12:50 AM.