Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Mustang = Sport Compact?

Old 03-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Big Daddy!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SPORTY is my ZX2 cause is came w/ a Cool "SPORT" badge on it, hehehehehe..... RIGHT...

Dunno, though my original use was just in conversation, not saying a 2.3L Stang was one, just came out that way.

So a Toyota Celica is a sport compact, but so is a Supra according to magazines. Mazda Protege is a sport compact but so is an RX7, hehe. Dunno, guess the line is blurry if you look at it through the Import Rags Eyes. So you classify a Focus 4dr ZTS as a sport compact? Or is just the Focus ZX3 one? How bout a Contour, not a mid size but not a compact? Contour SVT is it a Sport Compact.

Hehe, actually good conversation because of all the contradictions out there....

Who am i to say, I drive a JEEP more than anything now....

Last edited by 2kZX2; 03-05-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:42 AM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by 2kZX2
Hehe, actually good conversation because of all the contradictions out there....
HAHA...yeah I was thinking the same thing. But here is my latest thought:

If you will never see it on the cover of or in a specific feature article in Sport Compact Car or an equivalent magazine (i.e. Super Street), it is not a sport compact.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Big Daddy!

Sweet my car is now just a "Compact". Someone tell the damn insurance company that. Friggin Sports car classification crap, hehehe.

"Sport Compact" is a hard thing to universally classify if you go by those crap ass Import mags:

By Engine Size?
Nope, Supra, RX7, Skylines, Cougar V6's, etc. are usually considered one right next to the 4 banger crowd.

By # of Doors?
Nope, see plenty of Civics, Jetta's, etc. that are 4 door and in the magazines.

By Size of said car?
Nope, they tend to range from Civic hatch's size to Supra's size, etc.

By Make of car?
Can't do that, they consider Focus, Cavy's, Neons in there.

By Drive configuration?
Nope, once again WRX's, Evo's Supra, etc. are all featured along side of Civics.
Old 03-05-2004, 11:10 AM
brings his heater.

can we just say it like this

sport compact=faggot ass ricer?

i dont think i would want people to think i was a faggot
Old 03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Big Daddy!

LOL.......
Old 03-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Ricer In Training

Originally posted by rubberneck

Mmmmkay?!?!?

You are aware that there are some "sport compacts" on TR that will massively rape your Mustang?

The swapped hatch hotness

Slow Five-Oh Rustang
Old 03-05-2004, 02:18 PM
brings his heater.

Originally posted by AlcohollicA
Mmmmkay?!?!?

You are aware that there are some "sport compacts" on TR that will massively rape your Mustang?

yep, but i dont care
Old 03-05-2004, 02:23 PM

I'd say that a sport compact car gets its label based on the model's original intent from the manufacturer. If it was designed to be an econobox, but happens to have a little kick, moddability, or great handling, it is a sport compact car. The neon was/is the eiptome of american econobox, the SRT-4 just happens to be a badass version of it. The cars you were mentioning (rx7, supra, skyline) are in NO WAY sport compacts. That's simply an unacceptable term for them. Why? They are sports cars, through and through. Their original intent was to have a power to weight ratio as close to 10lbs/hp as possible, to pull over .90 on the skidpad, allow for plenty of upgrades (each of those engines will support over 700whp in stock form). The wrx and evo were basically designed to legalize the use of cars for rally, and thus they are sports sedans. The M5 fits into that catagory along with any 4dr vehicle that weighs over 3000lbs and was intended for high performance. So what about the mustang? Its original intent was to be a muscle car, KISS supsension, simple big displacement hp, gas guzzling, and have an unmistakeable sound. Eventually ford realized they could sell slower versions to pussies that like the way it looked. Thus the 4 and 6cyl stangs came to be. THEY are the branch off of the original though, not the other way around.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by rubberneck
can we just say it like this

i dont think i would want people to think i was a faggot
Non-offroading SUV = Minivan with band gas milage and a guy trying not to look like a soccer mom.

I don't think I would want people to think I was a soccer mom deep down.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:38 PM
whoopdy fucking do!

but see the mustang isnt a muscle car , it is a pony car, and the first one .........

see sport compatcts are just imported pony cars........... so we need to do away with the term sport compact and call them by the correct term, pony car..........