Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Mustang = Sport Compact?

Old 03-04-2004, 05:33 PM
drives euro trash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mustang = Sport Compact?

This kind of stems from a disagreement on another board. Someone thought my car is a "sport compact" due to its 4-cylinder, good gas mileage (haha, yeah I wish), and aftermarket support. Not that I care what anyone thinks, but I just find it interesting how someone can give this label to a Mustang (which as we all know has quite a heritage PRIOR to the sport compact phenomenon).

A Focus, Lancer, WRX, Civic Si, etc are all sport compacts. An SVO or any non-V8 Mustang...eh...I don't think so. Discuss.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:25 PM
Ricer In Training

It's a confusion caused by the fact that the automotive industry rates Mustangs and Camaros, Firebirds as a subcompact due to low interior space volume.

It's officially a subcompact not a Sport Compact.

The swapped hatch hotness

Slow Five-Oh Rustang
Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 PM
x_X

i dunno.. looks like a sport compact to me..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
honda_stang.jpg (21.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-05-2004, 04:27 AM
Big Daddy!

Huh, guess I did offend you. I figured you realized I was just using the term loosely when I mentioned getting all Ford 4 bangers together.

In my eye, its a Sports Car, its a Compact car therefore to me its a sport compact, hell I'd call it one before I called my ZX2 one or a Civic one. Its definitely not a "MUSCLE" car like I'd put the V8 Mustang in. Hehe didn't mean to make your car seem less manly, was just saying it for the sake of my post....

Like said though even the Nova in its day was concidered a Compact. No offenses needs to be taken there Alan...
Old 03-05-2004, 04:36 AM
drives euro trash

Like I said, I wasn't offended...just felt this view on the Mustang was interesting.
Old 03-05-2004, 04:42 AM
Big Daddy!

If I see one, I just say hey look at the Mustang.

Although I do realize what the general publics idea of a sport compact is, so I understand the questioning of it. Its wierd to me though, in a "SPORT COMPACT" magazine you see a Skyline, yet its the same size as a Mustang and packs 4wd, a Turbo and a 6 cylinder. Supra, Turbo, RWD, 6 cylinder. If the term "SPORT COMPACT" is only FWD cars like you said over at Focaljet, then why are these cars common features in the rags and called so?

Oh well though, Mustang is a Mustang to me. I just used the term over there for the sake of the conversation. Nothing more...
Old 03-05-2004, 05:35 AM
drives euro trash

I have always been confused as to why sport compact mags feature cars such as the 240/Silvia, Skyline, RX7, NSX, Supra, and 300z. These are true sports cars. I think the US has a horrible tendency to label anything out of Japan as a "sport compact", either that or "Sport Compact Magazine" needs to think about a new name.

In a traditional sense, a sport compact car is just that...a compact car. While some of the cars named above may be classified as a sub compact due to small interior volume, the actual size of the car is pretty large. I was just sitting next to a Scion in traffic today marvelling at how much of a boat my car seemed sitting next to that little car.