Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

grey cap by dis to adjust timing?? ne one hurd of this

Old 01-22-2005, 03:21 PM
stock :-\

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grey cap by dis to adjust timing?? ne one hurd of this

its a greyish cap on a wire right by the distributor. Someguy i was talking cars with brought it up and how u have to disconnect it to "really" adjust ur timing the right way. He said u unplug it, adjust ur timing, plug it back in, then start the car and check ur # of degrees? Ne one ever heard of this? i know i havent. I just started the car loosend the dis. and used a gun to set the # of degrees? isnt that how its done?

idk ive never changed timing before im new to it lol. feel free to leave ur .02
Old 01-22-2005, 05:41 PM
torque on tap

Yeah, that's called the "Spout." Basically, the ECU has preset timing tables that it refers to when adjusting timing advance, but it must rely on a mechanically-set "base" timing. This is a "locked" amount of timing that the ECU uses to base it's changes on. As long as the "Spout" connector is installed, the ECU is free to make timing adjustments. However, you can pull the Spout out and lock in a certain amount of base timing, such as 20ยบ. This means that the engine will always run with that amount of timing advance, because that is the locked amount of base timing and the ECU can not use its tables to change timing values. You must remove the Spout to properly adjust base timing, which is turn adjusts overall timing based upon the ECU's tables when the Spout is reinstalled.

Stock base timing for your car would be 10ยบ. This lets the car run on 87 Octane fuel without detonation under high load because the ECU's preset tables are based upon this amount of "base" timing and it adjusts accordingly. Depending on how the car responds, a good way to pick up a little horsepower and some bottom-end torque is to adjust the base timing to say, 12ยบ, and then reinstall the Spout. However, the car must be run on at least 89 Octane with that amount of base timing to safely avoid detonation. At least, this is what my friend has found with his bone stock '87 5.0 Coupe. My car is too far from stock for me to be able to tell you more about base timing on stock cars, but I believe in order to run 14ยบ of base timing, you should use 93 Octane fuel. This is a good "mod" to do when you're going to the track..

Anyway, just remove the Spout, start the car, set the base timing, shut the car off, reinstall the Spout, and go for a drive. Don't advance more than 1-2ยบ at a time. Turn the radio and the A/C blower fan off during the test drive, and roll up the windows to listen for any detonation (pinging) with the new timing setting. Find a hill and load the car in a higher gear and see if you hear any pinging. If not, you're probably good to go. Another method is to push the base timing until you hear just a slight bit of detonation, then back off 2ยบ and leave it.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:57 AM
brings his heater.

some people also leave the spout out, and take the computer tables out of the equation and lock their distributor at total timing.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:28 AM

that works well on a nitrous car but wouldnt ever leave it out on the motor..

www.racinginnovationsfl.com
www.xsrcylinderheads.com
4.842@156 and 7.53@192 on radials
Old 01-23-2005, 07:08 AM

alright thanks alot for that info. i didnt do it right at all oops. thanks again
Old 01-23-2005, 09:52 AM

wow 4 degree advanced makes a HUGE difference. thanks i was missing out on this hah