Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

Red hot headers

Old 10-20-2005, 02:39 PM
is doing your girlfriend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red hot headers

i have a 351 .030" over
ported E7 heads
484/512 cam
1.72 rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Manifold
Holley 600 vacum secondary carb
Full Msd ignition
apprx 14deg base timing
mid legnth headers

i started it up today and after about a minute the #8 primary started to turn red hot. It has never done this before, no detonation, no unusual sounds, although i think it might have been idleing high (it was about 1800 RPM, i have not gotten around to setting a proper idle yet but it does not like to run under about 100-1100 RPM). What could cause a condition like this?

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 10-20-2005, 03:01 PM
is doing your girlfriend

now i am thinking that it is the carb, I think the shaft for the secondary butterflies is leaking and allowing air in and causing a excessivly lean mixture on #8 i also noticed yellow stains on the manifold right below there. if this carb is fuxored i will either have to pay to have it rebuilt by next weekend ($80 bucks) or swap my brothere 650 DP onto it.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it
Old 10-20-2005, 05:08 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

its lean. careful, the headgasket or piston is gonna die.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:23 PM
lives in a glass house

does sound lean. maybe an intake gasket leak on that cylinder?

Originally Posted by cochese
Focus on getting that piece shit down the track, stop posting stories.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:00 PM
is doing your girlfriend

im going to try switching out the carb first because there is some fuel leaking out from the secondary throttle shaft, if it is still doing it i hope i can swap intake gaskets and still be able to finish everything before next weekend

Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
is doing your girlfriend

did not pull the plug yet but the primary was red enough to get my attention, after which i immediatly shut it down
**EDIT* here is the plug, the electrode looks like it has been heated, there is slight blueing on it, the center electrode looks like there might be a small white tip on it. sorry for the bad quality i dont know how to take a good up close picture

Last edited by Duceanahalf; 10-20-2005 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:18 PM
is doing your girlfriend

i have pedestal mount rockers