General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Geico Insurance

Old 09-20-2007 | 07:15 PM
no more imports for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0280.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0279.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0242.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0275.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0241.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0235.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_0248.jpg

Thetop 2 links are of what the car looks like on the undamaged side, the other ones are of the damage and the scene of the accident
Old 09-20-2007 | 07:36 PM
I have O.C.D.

Originally Posted by Swifster
So let me get this straight. My 2001 Ford Ranger has 172K on it. It has the original exhaust that is just starting to fall apart. If I replace the exhaust system with an OEM style stainless exhaust system from Midas that I haven't increased the value of my truck? That's bullshit. You don't need a rider to replace an exhaust system. Ask them to price out a Mustang exhaust system from Ford. $430.11 He should see $215 for the new pipes.

If there is a huge difference in price, that would be one thing, but to say that if your aftermarket wheels were stolen that they wouldn't put any wheels on the car is wrong. That opens Geico to one hell of a lawsuit. They have to put something there. They can't make the argument that the OEM wheels/tires wouldn't have been stolen after the fact.

Long term maintenance items include the exhaust, tires, engine, trans, shocks/struts, radiators, etc. They can argue the amount on the exhaust, but they can't ignore it.

By the way, I've been doing insurance claims for 22 years.

By the way, +1 for the cat!
Thanks for the rep

I am a total loss adjuster.

Your vehicle is suppose to have an exhaust either way.It is not something that will increase the value once the vehicle goes to the chopping block.
She said aftermarket exhaust,insurance company will NOT pay for an aftermarket exhaust unless she has ACPE..All the other stuff you named the insurance company will nickle and dime you,because your vehicle is suppose to have those parts. You need to change them either way to have a running vehicle.Ok now to the wheels,if the car did not come with them an insurance compant will not pay for aftermarket wheels unless you have ACPE.If your wheels get stolen they will pay for stock wheels.

BTW nice ride

Last edited by Jewbu; 09-20-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-20-2007 | 07:38 PM
I have O.C.D.

unless you have some major mods under the hood and or suspension,take the wheels,put some crap ones on and let it go
Old 09-20-2007 | 10:04 PM
WHO? ME?

Originally Posted by Jewbu
Thanks for the rep

I am a total loss adjuster.

Your vehicle is suppose to have an exhaust either way.It is not something that will increase the value once the vehicle goes to the chopping block.
She said aftermarket exhaust,insurance company will NOT pay for an aftermarket exhaust unless she has ACPE..All the other stuff you named the insurance company will nickle and dime you,because your vehicle is suppose to have those parts. You need to change them either way to have a running vehicle.Ok now to the wheels,if the car did not come with them an insurance compant will not pay for aftermarket wheels unless you have ACPE.If your wheels get stolen they will pay for stock wheels.

BTW nice ride
Yeah, I've done that job too. I've seen the $8000 Yugo !

Just looking at what can be seen of that exhaust system, how different can that be from the OEM piece. When you have an insurance company putting aftermarket parts on your car during a repair, spliting hairs on where you bought your exhaust will open a can of worms if someone sued. I would DEMAND all OEM exhaust pipes if I had them damaged.

Considering the tight rules regarding replacement exhaust systems in this state (see the sticky above), any exhaust system by definition has to be an OEM equivalent. Unless Geico is claiming this is an illegal exhaust system in the eyes of the state, I can't see how they can deny the exhaust system replacement based on A/M parts. This is saying that Ford is the only one she can buy an exhaust system from. And I'll guarantee an insurance company is calling Midas for an exhaust system price on claims.

I'm aware that if aftermarket wheels were stolen, they'd replace them with OEM (stereos too), but what happens when the aftermarket wheels or stereo (especially) cost less than the OEM unit? Pay more than what they had stolen? The wheels on my Ranger are $210 while a set of Cragars I'm looking at are $135. "That's correct, I had aftermarket wheels, but you don't cover those, so give me the OEM's. Oh yeah, just cash me out, Thanks!" Even if I had aluminum wheels as OEM, the reconditioned ones are $179.

Again, if this happened to me, I think I could make the same argument successfully if the tried to nickle and dime me. This has given me the idea of contesting aftermarket sheet metal parts based on me not having ACPE. "No, you can't use aftermarket parts. You won't cover my fender if the truck is stolen and stripped because it's an aftermarket part!"

I'd really like to see the wording on Geico's policy. I'd bet a could find a wording loop hole I could drive a truck thru. I know a couple of their road adjusters. Maybe I'll call one today...

EDIT: Two other things after rereading your earlier post. First, anything that the insurance company takes depreciation on is fair game as a long term wear item if it's been replaced. If those parts are replaced during a loss and depreciation is charged, the insurance company is admitting that the age and condition of those parts matter. See my earlier list. Second, if the insurance company doesn't think this is right, I'd be making damn sure that the CCC evaluation was completed as "Average Dealer" and not "Average Private". Especially in this case as she just bought the car. That little change from a "1" to a "2" can more than make up for the cost of the exhaust.

There are other things that a savy insured can nickle and dime back. While sales tax is offered, very few will offer to pay to transfer the plates. While a small amount, this is something the insurance company owes along with sales tax and title fees. These are expenses just as real as sales tax.

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Cost to Date: $2125.60

Last edited by Swifster; 09-20-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2007 | 09:50 AM
USMC

im also an insurance agent

i think it all depends on how your company is filed with the state. progressive provides $1k ACPE in every policy for free, and you can buy up to $5k or get a stated amount policy. and Travelers will cover all ACPE for free(guess its the difference between an A-rated company and a non-standard) when my accord was stolen out of the Progressive parking lot, and then recovered a week later, they covered my aftermarket intake, head unit, and tail lights.

also, its different if your own insurance company doesnt have to pay the claim. when i got hit by a crackhead and my accord was totalled, i made the other persons insurance company pay for every after market part, without reciepts, only internet prices from various websites, and digital pictures from me proving they were on my car. except the internal mods. but i had the claims people at Travelers helping me.
TR happily married crew-member #2

This is the internet. You're just supposed to talk up whatever you do know as if you're a salesman for it. i.e. I drive a Supra and a Corolla therefore 2JZ is the greatest and so is the 4A and I don't care about anything else because it's all crap since I don't have it. I also have a stack of $20 bills in front of me, therefore 20>50 and 20>100 and 20>1000. $20 bill FTW.
Old 09-21-2007 | 11:14 AM
WHO? ME?

Different insurance companies have different riders. Sales agents are just as importatnt in the claims process as the claims staff. The reasoning is that most just snap a picture without looking at the vehicle. A smart agent will look over the car for aftermarket stereos and other equipment to at least offer the coverage. Problems begin when these items are not offered and something happens. At that point it's usually too late and the customers screaming that XYZ insurance company sucks.

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Old 09-23-2007 | 12:16 PM
no more imports for me

I wanted to keep the car for the drivetrain for a foxbody that we were gonna build but geico is making this a huge hassle and they are saying that I will have to attend the auction the car is sent to for me to "purchase the car" this seems like a bunch of BS.
Old 09-23-2007 | 12:46 PM
WHO? ME?

Originally Posted by Civichik05
I wanted to keep the car for the drivetrain for a foxbody that we were gonna build but geico is making this a huge hassle and they are saying that I will have to attend the auction the car is sent to for me to "purchase the car" this seems like a bunch of BS.
First question, did you already sign over the title?

If not, ask them for the specific wording in the policy stating that you have no choice but to give them the car. Then post up the wording.

Old 09-26-2007 | 01:50 PM
no more imports for me

I still haven't signed anything just talked to them over the phone. When I ask about keeping the car the try to avoid the conversation it seems. I think letting the car go will be a lot less headaches plus the way I see it now it will probably slow down the process even more than what it has been already.
Old 09-27-2007 | 03:43 PM
WHO? ME?

For future reference then, and for any others with Geico, this came from a conversation I had earlier today with a Geico rep who shall remain nameless.

There is no wording in the policy, and there is no law that states that you must surrender your car. The is a policy that this particular office has and nothing more. This policy is in effect because they don't like having to worry about having the title changed to a salvage title ( it's a bother to them). If you truely want your car back, demand in writing the return of your title, and only after they have towed the car to your residence. You would need to sign the title, but do not sign anything that would give cause for them to transfer it in their name.

You will not be allowed at an auction to bid on your salvage if you wanted to because the auctions will not let you in without a dealers license. If you demand to keep the car, and they will not allow this, contact the state insurance commission and file a complaint.