General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

driven concepts...shut down? hasnt been opened in a week?

Old 08-17-2008, 02:37 PM
97 gt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manifoldmike
just a little info on real shops.

most shops allow drug use and alcohol on the job, which we didn't while i was there.

most shops allow smoking within the shop, which we didn't (in the last 6 months).

most shops will bounce your checks when things get tough, which has happend, but its pretty normal. i would much rather get my pay in cash a couple days later then another check. if you guys don't think payment is usually a problem in this industry, you've obviously never worked in it.

most performance shops don't offer ase certification because honestly it doesn't matter. i'm not and i don't care to be. i won't gain any more customers because of it, nor do i want the customers looking for that. ase is for general maintence, which doesn't apply.

i've worked with ase master techs. doesn't mean shit. in fact, i'm willing to be 90% of the best builders are not ase certified.

most shops have a shop car or cars. which ian definatley did

most shop owners make stupid mistakes, which we did.

most shops don't pay salary, which we do.

most shops don't offer full benefits, which we do.

most shops don't front money to employees for personal projects, which we do.

most shops don't offer time off or a decent amount of vacation, which we do.

most shops don't have a/c in the bays or welding room, which we did.

most shops don't stock tons of inventory, which we do.

i could probably keep going, but i think you get the point. i don't work at DC because thats my only option. i work there because they offered the most promise for a positive career. which i got for a while. obviously this situation isn't the best, but like most good things, there is always an end.
most shops? If I ever had a vechicle in a shop that you describe as most I think I would cause fractures. You may have associated yourself with trash for so long that you can no longer smell it. I spend a lot of money on my car and truck and I took offense that you said most shops. My shop doesnt do drugs. My shop picks me up when i break down at midnight. My shop doesnt run up a bill or do half ass work.

I could be wrong. I dont drive a riced out car and maybe the learning curve for those drivers is much lower than I suspect. But Im sure tank will keep bringing you his daewoo.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:41 PM
EL TORO

He made sense a couple of pages ago but now it seems like he is losing touch with reality. I am glad I read this thread.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM

Mike i don't really know you, but Ive heard alot about your work being top notch. so don't take this as an attack on you, and up until this point i still had respect for your stance to stay around to see it out for the sake of the people who still have items in the shop, but your loosing ground really fast with with the direction you are taking this. i do hope and have no dought you will keep your word and stick it out to get projects complete for people and make sure belongings are safe. I'm not gunna have a back and forth argument about this but here are my points on your comments so... good luck to you.

most shops allow drug use and alcohol on the job, which we didn't while i was there.
No most shops do not, that is illegal there for not allowed at any real shop sorry.

most shops allow smoking within the shop, which we didn't (in the last 6 months).
Safety hazard so no most shops do not allow smoking inside the shop

most shops will bounce your checks when things get tough, which has happened, but its pretty normal. i would much rather get my pay in cash a couple days later then another check. if you guys don't think payment is usually a problem in this industry, you've obviously never worked in it.
Most shops with a decent manager/management team do not have this problem or are capable of foreseeing it and cut hours to compensate.

most performance shops don't offer ase certification because honestly it doesn't matter. I'm not and i don't care to be. i won't gain any more customers because of it, nor do i want the customers looking for that. Ase is for general maintenance, which doesn't apply.
as i agree in the fabrication area, i do not agree at all with this statement, not only is a lot of performance work very closely related to general maintenance and DC brings in a lot of general maintains jobs.

what if some "tuner kid" working there does a break job, the brakes fail on the customer 5 miles down the road hits other cars, people die, customer sues, DC has no case because they let some nobody (in the eyes of the judge) do the job.

not only this good shops tend to offer time off, reimbusment plans, and higher pay rate for being ase certified.

I've worked with ase master techs. doesn't mean shit. in fact, I'm willing to be 90% of the best builders are not Ase certified.
custom builders you are right, but there not bringing in off the the street maintenance ether.

most shops have a shop car or cars. which ian definitely did
yes everyone has a personal car, i think this was brought up because cars claimed to be built by the shop where in fact not built by the shop.

Not to the point of getting the shop closed down for at least two weeks, and the E-lynch mob after them. with countless threads warning people about them going back 6 or so years.

some do some don't, Not really any form of a good argument, this does not define a good shop or a bad shop.

I was never offered any.

a good shop shouldn't need to, this is also not a good argument at all.

I was never offered anything like this.

a window unit in one little room doesn't count for anything worth bringing up.

some do some don't, this again does not define a good or bad shop.

i could probably keep going, but i think you get the point. i don't work at DC because that's my only option. i work there because they offered the most promise for a positive career. which i got for a while. obviously this situation isn't the best, but like most good things, there is always an end.

Last edited by Jake Breyck; 08-17-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction no content change.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:23 PM

Kirk, I believe it was you that told me not to talk about things I knew nothing about. Am I wrong? I was offended when that rumor of the all day manifold and valve cover started and I'm offended that it's now coming from you. Though I know who started that rumor, it's unnecassary to go there. I was once told by a DC employee that "I'm not a painter and that I should leave the paint issues to the painters". Well, the person that this originated from is not a mechanic and therefore was not aware of what I was doing. It was me working on that car and it did not take all day to install a manifold and valve covers. I don't feel like I need to explain exactly what I did because that would imply that I have something to justify. As I said before, the last of us @ DC do not reflect DC's past. We're just the ones paying the price. Kirk I would appreciate if you would be more careful about what you say. I am an honest, hard working person and I think out of anyone else here, you know that my name is all I have left.

Originally Posted by Kirk
That's all you had to say. I have yet to see a customer come in and leave in a timely manner without getting pushed to the side for one of Ian's bullshit cars. The priorities at that shop are still as fucked up as they were years ago. It's not surprising when everyone just walks around out back and take a whole day to install an intake manifold and valve covers on a 2JZ which isn't even bringing money to the shop....
Old 08-17-2008, 03:24 PM

WHAT!!!!!!!!!??????????? Thats delusional. I mean to say that most shops have alcohol and drug abuse?? What the hell? Are you serious? Not the shops i know of.

Not within the shop, out back maybe or in a designated area that did not have any fluids near it. But i have seen DC employees smoking in a bay while working on somones car, cig in mouth over an engine bay.

most shops will bounce your checks when things get tough, which has happend, but its pretty normal. i would much rather get my pay in cash a couple days later then another check. if you guys don't think payment is usually a problem in this industry, you've obviously never worked in it.
Hahahahahahahaha thats absolutely not true. I have known many people to have had jobs in your industry and not have checks bounce on them. Bounced checks, but you still get medical benefits, so i guess thats ok...
My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 08-17-2008, 04:45 PM
Driven Concepts

most performance shops don't offer ase certification because honestly it doesn't matter. i'm not and i don't care to be. i won't gain any more customers because of it, nor do i want the customers looking for that. ase is for general maintence, which doesn't apply.

i've worked with ase master techs. doesn't mean shit. in fact, i'm willing to be 90% of the best builders are not ase certified.

i could probably keep going, but i think you get the point. i don't work at DC because thats my only option. i work there because they offered the most promise for a positive career. which i got for a while. obviously this situation isn't the best, but like most good things, there is always an end.

real shops dont take credit for other shops work.

real shops dont tune cars on street

real shops dont play with customer cars on street unless customer requests, and even then sometimes not.

real shops dont take non running cars to carshows and claim they run

real shops dont use a forklift as a lift

real shops dont use a forklift to move cars around

real shops dont have snap-on boxes sitting OUTSIDE

real shops dont leave motors sitting OUTSIDE on shelves

real shops dont have an e-z-up as a workbay

real shops dont sell cars on ebay then take them out street drifting with transporter tags

real shops dont borrow customer cars without consent to go driftin giwth transporter tags

real shops dont have mechanics using an angle grinder 3' away from an engine shooting metal shavings into engines

real shops dont sell cusco cages

real shops dont use drugs on or off the facility

real shops dont rent uhauls

real shops dont use uhauls to transport their cars and fudge milage when they have a rental

real shops will have things like holesaws/bench grinders/drill presses/angle grinders before they buy snap on a/c machines and snap on nutdrivers.

real shops dont really own many hand tools because they have real techs who bring real tools so they can do their job.

real shops dont take parts off customers cars when they dont have it in stock

real shops dont strap down cars with 2 straps on a dyno

real shops dont have painters razorblade corvettes because their painter isnt getting paid

real shops pay taxes

real shops pay their rent / own their building

real shops dont write hot checks

real shops know how to book customers and put cars out on time

real shops have a wait list and konw how to make appointments instead of using a forklift to move cars around because they know nothing about time management

real shops work on their own stuff afterhours, and always put the customer 1st.

real shops communicate with thier customers

real shops dont shut down without their customers knowing

real shops owners speak up when questionable situations arise

real shops cant do their fab work in a 8x8 room with a window a/c unit because they are building bigger stuff than manifolds and intercooler pipes all day.

real shops dont have john from JIC stop by to personally say F* off.

real shops dont take credit for finishline builds, that they make somehow run WORSE.

real shops dont have their owners hiding in the bathroom for 30 minuts

real shops dont have employees lie to customers

real shops dont avoid their customers

real shops dont owe money to people

real shops are acknowledged by better business bereau as an established business.

real shops have priorities like getting cars out before making sure they have stickers in stock.

real shops tune in house.

real shops make more than 118rwhp on a built SR20.

real shops make power not excuses

real shops take care of their screwups

real shops make screwups

real shops and dealerships and businesses know smoking cigarettes has absolutely nothing to do with anything productivity related for the most part.

real shops dont get investigated by the IRS / TPD / HCSO.

real shops owners dont go to jail for FTA's.

real shops dont have employees who are family who do absolutely nothing but cut up 240sx hatches to try to make siltrucks and paint trunks flat black.

real shops use a forklift for moving things on pallets, not things resting on 4 wheels/tires known as an "automobile" that is owned by a customer

i could probably go on, but i think ive covered about 20% of what makes Driven Concepts Driven Concepts.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:54 PM

lol only the forman can smoke inside the bays. sorry mike i had to.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Driven Concepts

but hey, its okay. although the checks may bounce for customers he borrowed some shop money for his own project and to buy cigarettes he doesnt smoke.

business ethics 101 folks!!
Old 08-17-2008, 05:09 PM

you are just like a lawyer. You know in your mind that he killed someone, but because of the money you go and defend him. It's time for you to shut up & find another job. My opinion, take it however you want.

10.6@136 k20
ALPHA TUNING For all of your tuning needs 7275051423 Induction Performance

BUILT BY KJ
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Project.A

type r EWW!!

Ride(s)
Green Lightning 10r :'( Sold :'(
Project Silvia :'( Sold :'(
2002 BO Lexus Is300 Rip :'(
2003 BO Lexus IS300 Sport Design (Project Altezza)
2010 Black Louts 10r :'( Sold :'(
1996 200sx Ser gtir swap 350hp SOLD
***More to come***

Car Stereo Installer for hirecome to me for your Audio Needs!!!!