General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

ATTN: Joe Dono AKA SCP_Celica SCAMMER

Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Score one for the good guys.

I commend you for keeping a cool head through all this, it would be really easy to lose your head and make a mistake that would cost your shop. Kudos.

Based on my own personal experiences, the next time you both talk/meet, inform Joe that you will be recording all conversations from now on. Just to protect yourself, have everything on record. Just make sure he knows. If he makes a big deal about it, then you know he's full of BS.

Good Luck!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:04 AM
The One and Only

He cant be telling the cops the whole story. I would take my losses strip it and sell the parts and continue on without all this bullshit drama from some young pimple faced queer.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:10 AM

I'm a little confused... What does he 'think' he should owe you for the work? I read where he said he thought he paid for the parts and some labor.. But, seriously is he just delusional or what? How can he expect to just walk away with the car in the finished state? If anything I can see him walking away with the car painted and the trunk full of his uninstalled parts in a worst case scenario - ie the original deal. But what does he really think he owes for the finished car? Hopefully you have a backup plan should he get a bond together for the car to make sure it can't leave with any more of your work besides the 'original' request? I can imagine as soon as it leaves your shop some of the stuff would be sold off immediately with as shady as he is. Just trying to make sure you are protected over losing even more.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 AM

he is probably making a scene at the court house lol
Old 08-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Balut Delivery EF1

Originally Posted by DC5_babe
he is probably making a scene at the court house lol
wanna see some more funny reading material? search enz01 on here. See what comes up first.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
all the rage!

give'em hell importguy.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
I Haz Vtec.

Originally Posted by importguy1208
He showed up today with his mother, his girlfriend, and an Ocala Police Officer. Originally the Officer told me that I had to relinquish the car to the mother once she showed current registration and a government ID.

Well after a few phone calls the STATE ATTORNEY'S office informed him that I can keep the car until a court issued affidavit says otherwise. JUST LIKE I HAVE BEEN SAYING SINCE DAY ONE.

The State Attorney' also said that a lien goes into effect as soon as any work is started on the car. I was also told by them that they would have to file a bond in the total amount of the invoice before court proceedings will take place. TOO BAD THEY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET A BOND!

So after the SA Office informed the officer of the law and how it is to be enforced, no insult to the officer, the officer informed Joe, his mother, and his prostitoddler girlfriend that they needed to pound sand. They apparently went down to the SA and the courthouse and are trying to sort things out right now. Once again, TOO BAD THEY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO GET A BOND!
So when he left the shop did you make sure to point and laugh ?

TR Guido crew member # 2

Originally Posted by Na306StAnG
If those girls pass by one more time im gonna go get my chloroform supersoaker.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
slash

TRick Squad Member #3
VicPrez of IttyBittyTittyCommittee

Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM

Here from LS1Tech.com Hope the OP gets his money, I'll chip in for legal fees. Hopefully we'll se a new mugshot of this POS wearing his new stylish orange jumpsuit
Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Daewoo Frankenstein

Oh My Holy GAWD. I just spent my entire lunch break reading this Thread of LEGEND. Yes, first to last post. And I will chime in with my oh-so-worthless opinion. But here it is.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I have read me a law book or two in my day, and I must say that Joe Dono...you're SOL.

You have entered into the vague and dangerous world of what we call the "Verbal Contract". It's not written anywhere and is open to interpretation and in an open court, with even arguments, the best lawyer usual gets it, but sorry, Joe...you don't have an even argument. You have NO argument. Much less a good lawyer.

Understand the fact that you left the Celica in the care of the OP for 6 months. To the judge, this will be the deciding factor. If there were no agreement, verbal or written, then why did you do that? Furthermore, if you attempt to squeal your way out of this, the judge can subpoena your bank records, which will indicate that upon entering the verbal contract you had absolutely no means of paying for the work. If you argue that your grandfather or mother would have paid (which is a hollow argument, because if they could pay, we wouldn't be here) they will subpoena them too. If they said they would have paid, their bank records would also be brought to trial, and if they were lying (insufficient funds) they could be tried for perjury. DO NOT PUT YOUR MOTHER THROUGH THAT YOU RAT BASTARD.

Ahem. Cliff Notes, your case will not stand up in court. You have no argument. It was your own responsibility to track the progress of the car and immediately put a stop to work that you could not afford. Failure to visit is your own. Add to that a whole slew of character witnesses attesting that you are scum, and the judge will GLADY award the case to the OP.

HOWEVER, the OP is right in saying that in order to combat a mechanic's lien you have to put forth a bond equal in value to the amount of money in dispute. That means your mother would have to get a loan for $16,000 in order to even take the case to court. If you win, car and money are yours, if you lose (you'll lose, read above) the $16,000 will go to the OP and you'll get your car back good as new. The only problem is that you'll now have put your mother in debt $16,000, and she'll have to continue making payments on the Celica. Your mom could also say that you didn't have permission to touch her car, and then you could be tried for grand theft.