General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Painters tape for taping front of car for road trips?

Old 01-26-2009 | 02:57 PM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

There is a time and place for everything.

I Smurf'ed a 2006 Corvette Convertible. The car had 5 miles on it, and was located in Atlantic City, NJ. I drove for my dad here to Tampa. It was 25 degrees outside, and I was picking it up on my way home from a vacation. I used Blue Painters tape for the 2 day drive, and had ZERO issues. The car got a clear bra applied once here in Tampa.

I say, Blue 3M, and rock it out!

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 01-26-2009 | 03:26 PM
Sexist

+1 on the 3M clear bra.

I always wonder why people bother buying a nice car and then drive around with some ugly black bra or blue tape on it. Get the clear bra stuff or just repaint the front every so many miles.
Old 01-26-2009 | 03:51 PM

Unless you drive around 24/7 with tape on your car whats the point? Ive got a 69 SS with a clean paint job and Ive never taped it up.
Old 01-26-2009 | 04:16 PM

Whats the sorty with the clear bra?
Must not be like a typical bra that you strap onto the front end. Those things rub against your paint so bad they do nearly more damage then good. I sure as the hell wouldn't use that type of set up on any car with nice paint.
I'm guess from pdisme's post that it adheres to the paint and is a solid type of covering?

My Project
Old 01-26-2009 | 04:23 PM

Yep, I think they use a heat gun to make it adhere, it's like thick plastic wrap that goes on the car. Here's a pic, you can barely see the line going across my hood starting just above Todd's (my detailer) name where it ends; they didn't have a piece wide enough to do the whole hood so it only covers 3/4, which has been fine so far most things seem to bounce off the lower part. I have it on the hood, all the front bumper area, mirrors, quarter panels front and rear. The only place that is bad are the rear quarter panels, I need to get it peeled off of there and re-done, dirt has discolored it over the past two years.

Old 01-27-2009 | 02:36 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

very simple...

Blue Tape/Green Tape: Short term, usually delivery
3M clear bra: ongoing protection

I wouldn't want to have a clear bra installed by some shop I have never delat with in a city 1000 miles away. You can't easily take it backto get it fixed if there are bubbles, or if something doesn't turn out right. Get it done locally by a trusted shop, like ryan at http://www.autopaintguard.com/

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com

Last edited by _Charles_; 01-27-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-27-2009 | 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by lexusondubs
no but going 75 on the freeway and going 45 on the streets you are more likely to get rock chips going 75 for a long period of time also clearbra does chip/flake when hit hard enuf ..unless you replace every year and its very expensive around $500-$800 soo thats not a choice for everyone
I'd argue that local streets have far more debris that gets kicked up than interstates where it tends to get kicked up and off the road since no one's turning on and off the road dragging it all around.

I've had parts of tires and all kinds of other crap flung into my clear bra at 140+ on the track and no chips so far.

I got the whole car done for $600 at Reeves but it can be found for less, I just didn't feel like shopping around.