General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Who will be the king of the Sport Compact world?

Old 11-05-2002, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a curb weight of about 2600lbs and 200+hp kits soon to be on the market, the MINI Cooper S will be the king of true sport compacts in both handling and acceleration. Traction will be the biggest issue for the MINI on the drag strip. By the way, in your list you forgot to mention the truest of sport compacts, the Mazda Miata. That little bugger is, after the MINI Cooper, the next best handling car on the road under 30 large. Anyone care to folllow me through the off-ramp at 70?
www.vinceandjessica.com
Old 11-05-2002, 09:56 AM

Come try my MP3 on any twisty road you choose.

I got $100 cash says you can't hang with my MP3!!!
Old 11-05-2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by "BodyRollin'"

actually if i can find the article all that it took to get 13's out of the ACR was drag tires. the ACR was an amazing car straight from dodge.
Stock ACR ran 15.8 on a good day at 87 mph, how will drag tires get you in the 13's? Now NOS will but not tires.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:06 PM
F K D

Does anyone know if Mazda will be doing a "Mazda Speed" version of the Miata? OEM turbo Miata = traded S2K, in my book.

T.Morrow
Old 11-06-2002, 04:00 AM

You can put a turbo kit on one for about $3500 and push over 300 HP and 300 LBs
Old 11-06-2002, 08:50 AM
teh clit wiggler

Originally posted by "Leslie"

Originally Posted by Zate
actually john.. price no object the STi will own the Lancer.. guys in Australia who get the 265 HP one (same as what we get).. add a boost controller (MBC @ 24 psi) and a unichip and are puttin down about 300 at the wheels.. means about 375 crank.. pretty dam nice ...

Unichip + AVCR can be had for under $1000 here.. under $500 if you go MBC..

blah blah blah...and even when the EVO owns the STi, you'll never admit it.

But anyways, who cares what "sport compact" is most popular. Drive what you like, not what everyone else has or tells you to get. Why can't people think for themselves for once.
plis tayk rieadin' 1101 agin, i tink u misanderstud him. carey, u go grl.... naisly sed.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:25 AM

Originally posted by "Mr Self Destruct"

Originally Posted by Levi
You can put a turbo kit on one for about $3500 and push over 300 HP and 300 LBs
not on the new ones, unless you like picking up spare rods off the ground, max they hold is around 10-12psi, even properly tuned.

Not to start anything, but I posted a 15 psi dyno from a 2.0 mazda engine with over 300 hp in this thread... Where did you get your data from?
Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM
boostmonkey

Originally posted by "BodyRollin'"

hate to contradict ya craig but you made a couple points that i dont agree with

Originally Posted by solo_mata_me
Too bad it has 2 things going against it:
1. It's a 4 door.
Have you seen johns 4 door run?!?!

Originally posted by "solo_mata_me"

2. It's a Dodge.

JMHO, the last decent Dodge was built back in 1971 with the exception of the Viper. After enduring some of their products in the 80's, I am forever scarred. If you had to ride around in a 1983 Chrysler E-Class and a smattering of Plymouth Horizons you would share my view. The early 80's sucked.
yeah those cars did suck but you cant deny the NEON ACR what an amazing car for the money it was relatively inexpensive and outhandled ALOT of cars on the market and the car could get 13 sec. timeslips all day long straight from the factory.
#1 There are exceptions to every rule. I respect fast 4 doors, but to me "sport compact" means a little hatch. I.E.: something sporty and fun, not a warmed over 4 door econo car that some manufacturer hastily decided to cram a decent motor into to attempt to take some sales away from it's 2 door competitors. Frankly, if I was in the market for a sport compact car, I would be looking at 2 doors. If I was looking for something more practical, I would be looking at WRX's and the like. Remember, John's car is not stock. John's car (and the secret spefications within) is also not mass produced. Try again.

#2 The Neon ACR was not exactly a mainstream car. The ACR Neon is to Dodge what the Cobra R is to Ford and the 1LE package is to Chevrolet. I will not deny that it was a decent car for what it was, but it was far from what mainstream was. The best I have ever seen a ACR Neon run with mild mods was 14.7 @ about 93 mph...which is a far cry from the "13 seconds all day long" that you claim out of one. Mind you, the 14.7 time slip is with modifications not from the factory as you claim. The Neons handle phenominally well from the factory, but 13 second showroom floor cars they are not. Sorry to burst that bubble you have going for ya.

I stand by my points. I give the new Neon SRT-4 credit, but it is far from what I would be looking for in a sport compact car. It's all about the 2 doors.