General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Who will be the king of the Sport Compact world?

Old 10-29-2002, 04:36 PM
a.k.a. NeonDan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will be the king of the Sport Compact world?

While Hondas were dominating the scenes for years the Big 3 have sat out and watched the import manufacturers turn profts from not only their "faster" sport compacts but tuner parts aswell. Ford's SVT division (Special Vehicles Team) was the first to jump in when they announced and delivered the Focus SVT featuring its 2.0L DOHC massaged Zetec that produces 170hp and 145lb ft torque delivered to the front wheels via a Getrag 6 speed tranaxle. The SVT though was released shortly after Chrysler's PVO (Performance Vehicle Operation) announced that it would produce a 215hp variant of the Neon featuring a 2.4L DOHC Turbo motor, heavy duty 5 speed tranaxle, 17 inch wheels/tires and a sport tuned suspension. GM wasnt standing still, they inturn created GMPD (its a no brainer..GM Performance Division) which has been wrenching away creating vehicles to play catch up to the other two american giants and the imports aswell. GMPD will introduce here shortly a tuned version of their Sport Compact hopefull the Cavalier SS. The SS will feature a 2.2L DOHC Supercharged Ecotec that is claimed to output some 180hp and 172lb ft torque to the front wheels. Exterior mods include a body kit, 17 inch wheels/tires and a "sport" tuned suspension (..sounds familiar doesnt it?). It clearly doesnt take too much research to realize that come January all three american giants will have a performance oriented Sport Compact on the market to choose from. Ford will have the upper hand though as they are currently working on a Supercharged Zetec to replace the current N/A Zetec and they also have a ZX5 type variant of the Focus SVT in the pipelines too. PVO's SRT-4 on the otherhand currently seems to be the standard that the other two must meet as far as performance, handling and value. GM is making an attempt and hopefully the Cavalier SS will be a worthy competitor to both the SVT and SRT but to the imports aswell.

Well now we have a dilema, we have plenty of worthy Sport Compacts but who will be the king of the hill? Next spring we will have choices, choices and more choices but how can we determine whats best?
Audi has been rumored to be working on a US bound S3 hatch, Acura offers the RSX Type S hatch (200hp i-Vtec 2.0L DOHC w/ 6 speed manual FWD), BMW offers the Mini Cooper S hatch (163hp Supercharged 1.6L SOHC w/ 6 speed manual FWD), Chevy has the Cavalier SS sedan ready (180hp 2.2L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Chrysler offers the PT GT M.P.V. (215hp 2.4L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Dodge will be offering the SRT-4 sedan shortly (215hp Turbo 2.4L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Ford offers the SVT Focus hatch (170hp 2.0L DOHC w/ 6 speed manual FWD), Honda offers us the Civic Si hatch (160hp i-Vtec 2.0L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Hyundai offers the Tiburon GT hatch (181hp 2.7L V6 w/ 6 speed manual FWD), Mazda offers the Mazdaspeed Protege a.k.a MP3 sedan (170hp Turbo 2.0L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Mercedes-Benz offers the C230 hatch (now a Supercharged 1.8L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual RWD), Mitsubishi offers the Eclipse GT/GTS Coupe/Convertible (200/210hp 3.0L V6 w/ 5 speed manual FWD), Mitsubishi Japan is US certifing the Lancer Evolution for importation (250hp Turbo 2.0L DOHC w/ 5 speed manual AWD) Nissan offers the Sentra SER/SER Spec V sedans (165/175hp 2.5L DOHC with 5 speed manual & optional Auto(SER)/ 6 speed manual (Spec V) FWD), Pontiac offers the Vibe GT (180hp VVTLi 1.8L DOHC w/ 6 speed manual FWD), Subaru offers the WRX (227hp Turbo 2.0L DOHC Boxer w/ 5 speed manual AWD), Suzuki offers the Aerios (140hp 2.0L DOHC w/ 5 speed FWD/AWD), Toyota offers the Celica GTS & Matrix XRs (180hp VVTLi 1.8L DOHC w/ 6 speed manual FWD) and VW offers the Jetta VR6/GTI VR6/GTI 1.8T/Beetle 1.8T/Beetle Turbo S (200hp Narrow angle V6 or 180hp Turbo 1,8L DOHC w/ 5 speed or 6 speed (depending on application)...so there you have it...now the question still remains...who will conquer all?
Old 10-29-2002, 05:30 PM

Only time will tell. Good god man, only your third post and all that wording. Learn to summarize... lol

Old 10-30-2002, 12:03 AM
The one punch machine gun

who cares every one knows what the best FF sport compact is here's some hints its made buy honda\acura an it ends in Rrrr!!!!i can think of only a few FF cars that can wang with the R in stock form.(mazda mp3,SVT focus 2 nice cars IMO)All these new cavilers are bullshit i bet thoose factory 17s serve a purpose other then to appeal to ricers,Mini's are nice an will dominate there class at auto-x's in coming years,WRX ehh nice cars but i have been unimpresed.we shall see how the lancer's fair in the states.an there you have all i did was skim your post an that is what i think !
Old 10-30-2002, 06:50 AM
is cooler than you

Originally posted by "Zate"

actually john.. price no object the STi will own the Lancer.. guys in Australia who get the 265 HP one (same as what we get).. add a boost controller (MBC @ 24 psi) and a unichip and are puttin down about 300 at the wheels.. means about 375 crank.. pretty dam nice ...

Unichip + AVCR can be had for under $1000 here.. under $500 if you go MBC..

blah blah blah...and even when the EVO owns the STi, you'll never admit it.

But anyways, who cares what "sport compact" is most popular. Drive what you like, not what everyone else has or tells you to get. Why can't people think for themselves for once.

Old 10-30-2002, 07:17 AM

The Mazda Speed Mp3 owns all. Nothing comes close to it in handling for the price, and major HP is only a intercooler and boost controller away
Old 10-30-2002, 07:55 AM
Rod Bearing Eater

Originally posted by "Levi"

The Mazda Speed Mp3 owns all. Nothing comes close to it in handling for the price, and major HP is only a intercooler and boost controller away
I agree on the handling.

However everything I read so far says a Mazda speed protege is no more than MP3 with a bolt on turbo to keep costs down, i.e. stock NA block. With only 170hp stock, and only the standard NA enternals, it will probably take more than a intercooler and boost controller to make some serious HP (at least for a sustained period of time).

Cars like the Evo, WRX, and SRT-4 have turbo engines specifically put together and designed for forced induction.

I think the main battle is going to be between the Evo, WRX, and SRT-4. This new sport compact market is starting to focus more on forced induction. IMHO any manufacturer that wants to stay competitive in this segment needs to take the forced induction route.

I also agree with what Mr Self Destruct stated.