GM Tech - Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Hummer, Pontiac, Saturn Tech Technical Discussion for General Motors Products both past and present

Pulled the motor and found some suprises....

Old 12-15-2003, 03:13 PM
can survive...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Pulled the motor and found some suprises....

Originally posted by Silverchickn
Not sure if I read this right but are you saying you got a block from Valve god and didnt go over it with a micrometer before assembling it? I have heard it was always a good idea to have it checked and line honed before assembling? Im not trying to throw your mistake in your face just getting clarification. When you plastigauged it did all of the clearences look ok?

The block was sold (as are all his blocks) as fully machined and ready to run. I bought the block because it was "ready to run". If I needed to get the line hone (crank and cam) and bored too, I would have saved the $600 and bought a used block and saved in the long run or kept my old block.

I dont like plastigauge. Ive seen some bad things from that stuff and its also an estimation. I rather use a mic as its totally accurate. I had 2 machine shops mic everything (I didnt have the mics) and it was dead on, but if you have a cap thats out of alignment, then the clearence might be right, but the crank isnt centered and thats what cause the problem.

Im waiting on my main studs now and its getting line honed.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Camera Car!

Originally posted by Country Boy
I would do the 408. I was in the process of it, but backed out. I had a new GM 6.0 lined up and a Eagle 4" crank with some Lunati Pro Mod rods all ready to go, but I backed out. There comes a point that you have to enjoy the car and you cant be the fastest around. The bigger th bank account, the faster you are

Futral is an awesome guy. Weve talked a few times about parts and hes tried to help me with my low oil pressure problem. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a motor from him if I had the money!
I am leaning towards the iron, but i do not want to gut my car to lose the weight I get from the iron block.. I still have time to decide. I am in no rush.

My email:
vince99frc@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2003, 06:36 PM
can survive...

I guess my HP numbers wernt bad considering this was the engine
Old 12-15-2003, 07:02 PM
Camera Car!

I guess my HP numbers wernt bad considering this was the engine
The numbers were never bad.

My email:
vince99frc@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2003, 07:10 PM

rang crx - pmed you tons of times - just let me know thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 04:38 AM
can survive...

I guess I installed the main wrong (or so I was told). I guess they might have been upside down or something. Theres no way in hell there was something worng with the block.......
Old 12-22-2003, 09:48 AM

I guess I installed the main wrong (or so I was told). I guess they might have been upside down or something. Theres no way in hell there was something worng with the block.......
Can you elaborate on that? So the block was bad or did you install something incorrectly?

How can a main bearing be installed upside down?
Old 12-22-2003, 02:23 PM
can survive...

Originally posted by Silverchickn
Can you elaborate on that? So the block was bad or did you install something incorrectly?

How can a main bearing be installed upside down?

Read this: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121531

The machine shop is going to measure it all and find out in the next couple weeks. I had to wait on the main studs to get here.