Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

fuel pump r2

Old 04-25-2004, 06:43 AM
gadget man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump r2

I have an 88 si that I will be replacing the fuel pump on in the near future.

I have a haynes manual that covers my car and several others that says I have to drop the gas tank to get to the fuel pump. but the HELM electrical manual ( for 88 crx only) says the fuel pump is below the connector that is in the center of the car that sits under the storage tray ( just behind the front seats).

When I had the tray out to build my amp case I remember seeing a white cover plate that had like 3 or 4 screws hoding it down and a rubber grommet with a couple wires running through it. this is what the helm manual is sayin is just above the fuel pump.

who has actually replace the fuel pump on an 88crx si and which of these books is correct?? do I need to look forward to dropping the fuel tank or is it easier than that.

Before you ask, there is nothing wrong with the fuel pump that is currently in the car I drive with it every day, but I am doin some of the little things that need to be done to turbo the b16 that is in the crx.

If anyone is looking for a stock pump let me know and we can work something out when I actually do this.

thanks for the help.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 04-25-2004, 07:12 AM
i stepped on my weiner!

that cover is for the sending unit, you DO have to drop the tank

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 04-25-2004, 07:15 AM
Dr. Doom

drop the tank, make a day out of it.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:29 AM
gadget man

I was hoping that wasn't the case. but thanks for the help. from the way the book makes it sound its not too bad.

pull the fuel pump fuse or disconnect the battery
open the gas cap and loosen a bolt ( can't remember the name of the canister that it is on)under the hood to relieve fuel pressure

disconnect the hoses from the fuel tank ( the down spout and the fuel lines) then 2 nuts for the tank strap.

am I missing anything important? or does anyone know of any SAFE tricks to make this easier? I have never done this but its nuts and bolts just like everthing else so shouldn't be too hard.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 04-25-2004, 11:59 AM
mug
Hey Mr Toilet Im The Shit

just watch out the tank can be pretty heavy with the gas still in it
Old 04-25-2004, 12:02 PM
KJ
bored at work

Drain the gas and make your life easier. Be very careful when disconnecting the rubber lines. If you break or crack one they can take a while to replace.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:04 PM
engine building &best

all you need is a 10mm socket gor the fuelpump and a deep 12mm socket for the 2 bolts to uno the gastank it takes about 10mins to change a fuelpump if your tank is full there is a dain plug right near the rear drivers on the tank when changeing the pump make sure you have a new strainer also

175+served in engines built from minime to gsr/lsvtec,b16 b20vtec,d15 k24 powerhouses or just rebuilds.life is good
i like when people don't take my advice.cause then i make more money when u need it rebuild the right way!

how many speed holes do i need in my bumper,b4 i can run 15's?
Old 04-25-2004, 12:20 PM
gadget man

the pump is actually a pump kit with new filter and other odds and ends, it's the walbro 255lph high pressure pump kit, $90 plus shipping.

about a week befor I am ready to replace the pump I plan on letting the car run almost to empty and just put 1 or 2 gallons every other day until the week end when I can do this. between a near empty tank and a floor jack I shouldn't have to woory about the weight too much.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 04-25-2004, 02:35 PM
engine building &best

255Lph on a stock 1.6 is this ok Kj?

175+served in engines built from minime to gsr/lsvtec,b16 b20vtec,d15 k24 powerhouses or just rebuilds.life is good
i like when people don't take my advice.cause then i make more money when u need it rebuild the right way!

how many speed holes do i need in my bumper,b4 i can run 15's?