Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

TTOTD: How to determine if you need a camber kit!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I race sailboats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTOTD: How to determine if you need a camber kit!

Tech Thread Of The Day: Determing if you need a camber kit on your lowered car.

This is the most common method of determining whether or not you actually need an aftermarket camber kit for your lowered Honda/Acura.

First, Turn your steering wheel to one of the locks, it shouldnt matter which. This is what it should look like at this stage. Removing the fenders is not necessary for this.

Next, compare the inner side of your tire tread to the outer side, the wear should be even and the tire should appear symmetrical. If your tire looks like the one below, then investing in a camber kit should be in your near future.

Notice the left side shows significantly more wear than the right, or outer side. This is with only 1.5 inches of drop in the front!

The Honda/Acura Tech Thread of the Day has been brought to you by BBQ.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM
aspiring luder

or you could look down the sideline of the car and see your wheel sticking in farther at the top then the bottom...saves tire wear there

OR...you could lower it and then get an alignment as it will need it no matter what, but thats just me
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
I race sailboats

Well, my car doesnt appear to have any camber when the wheels are pointing straight ahead, its nearly impossible to tell just by looking at it, and there isnt enough room for any kind of bubble level. These tires have been aligned, but the stock suspension on EKs doesnt allow for camber adjustment without the addition of aftermarket parts as far as I know.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
aspiring luder

i can usually tell, but iono, but you are correct, but in its nature, you will get negative camber with your drop, you want negative for control of understeer, but if you want tire life you want it closer to even then you will have them on the drop

IMO a camber kit and lowering the car are synonymous

if you lower a car you know you have camber issues
Old 08-20-2007, 01:46 PM
I race sailboats

Very true, but If I made a thread saying

Tech Thread of the Day: Determining if you need a camber kit on your lower car.

You do!

It wouldnt be as interesting, lol.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

OMG,
Thanks for posting the pics. You are correct.

Another way to find out is to spray paint all the way across the tire tread
side to side and drive it a little. Paint (which is cheap) wears away the same as rubber which costs more.-Bob

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 08-20-2007, 05:09 PM
I race sailboats

Thank you sir, just trying to bring something different to Honda Tech than OMGZ MY ______ BROKE!!!! HALP!!!!

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
The Sick No Longer Died

actually alot of guys get away with no camber kit with no problem. Alot of the time it is your toe angle that does the extreme wear and tear. zero the toe!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM
mug
Hey Mr Toilet Im The Shit

Originally Posted by BUDO
actually alot of guys get away with no camber kit with no problem. Alot of the time it is your toe angle that does the extreme wear and tear. zero the toe!
+2 billion

In most case's all that needs done is to get an alignment and have your toe fixed.

toe is what eats your tires up
Old 08-20-2007, 05:40 PM
technician ...

I'm sorry but this thread is wrong ... inner tire wear is 90% toe 10% camber ...it tuns out I've had close to 2 degrees of negative camber for 2 years in the rear with even wear because my toe was set to 0. My front tires on the other hand had toe out and I chewed up 3 sets of tires on the inside. The best thing you can do when you lower your vehicle is get an alignment. By the way most sports cars from BMW M series to rx7 to 350z to many more all come with negative camber from the factory because it helps with handling ,and their tires wear evenly as long as they are keep to stock specs.

Originally Posted by George Orwell 1984
Its presupposed that somewhere or other, outside oneself, there was a "real" world where "real" things happened. But how could there be such a world? What knowledge have we of anything, save through our own mind? All happenings are in the mind. What ever happens in all minds, truly happens.
Originally Posted by Funk
Your mind contains the whole universe, the key is being able to see past yourself, this world, and thought itself.