Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Wiring Disaster

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Disaster

Hey guys, I'm new to TR and have a major wiring mess that I need help figuring out. I recently purchased a 94 Integra not knowing the guy had rigged every electrical component in the car. The dash instrument lights don't work. The a/c lights, cigarette lighter, and clock don't work. The stereo doesn't work either. From what I can tell, the wiring harness that goes to the back of the head unit has multiple shorted wires (the worst one being the red wire....melted, black, and bubbly). Then underneath the dash where the fuse box is at has multiple shorted wires as well. One of the main harnesses that go into it (the vertical one on the left) has about 6 wires that are destroyed. His fix was to wire the radio hot to the battery so that it worked but has to be taken off the battery each time you shut off the car and he mounted one of those lighted strips from walmart onto the dash. The car is a disaster. What would be my best bet for fixing it up? If it comes down to it a buddy of mine can rewire the whole car but not until I can get the money for all the harnesses. Any short term fixes? I have a toggle switch that I had thought about using for the radio but I am lost on the dash lights.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Redrocket part 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it fried all the way to the fuse. check the fuse that runs to your acc. like dome light,dash light, stereo, antenna etc. If you can just put in a new fuse you will be lucky but you are gonna need to have the stereo re wired completely. get rid of any components that are not factory and start looking for someone parting the same car out and see if they will give you deals on the oem stuff you need. Id say start ripping out the junk and make it back to oem as possible then start your build dont try to cut corners it could land you with a burned down shell.

Current Cars

05 ZX6R FOR SALE! Help me pay for school PM me for info.
95 Civic EX 4dr- D.D.
99 GMC Sierra 5.3l ext. cab. Under construction
05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R Plasma Blue
Old 11-14-2011, 03:35 PM

I've replaced all the fuses with no luck I think your right about it all being fried This kid said he would sell me everything I need to replace as far as wiring goes. It's going to be a pain figuring out where it all goes and pray that it fixes the problem. How on earth does someone manage to screw up every bit of wiring like that?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:52 PM
That Fat Guy

Best bet would be to locate a new dash harness, replace the whole thing.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:27 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

When it comes to wiring Neal Sutton of NS Racing, though I wouldn't be surprised if he tells you to replace the harnesses.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 11-14-2011, 07:57 PM
Redrocket part 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can find an entire underdash wiring harness i'll wire it up for you. if you want to fix the harness you have then i agree with chi town brat take it to Neal. I think his s/n on here is cxcivic?

Current Cars

05 ZX6R FOR SALE! Help me pay for school PM me for info.
95 Civic EX 4dr- D.D.
99 GMC Sierra 5.3l ext. cab. Under construction
05 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636R Plasma Blue
Old 12-18-2011, 02:40 PM

The kid never came through with the dash wiring harness....does anyone know where else I could find it or the more technical term for it so that I can order it online?