Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Question fo all you LS/VTEC fans

Old 04-16-2003, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question fo all you LS/VTEC fans

it seems like everytime someone asks a question about building a motor, the majority of the people on this boards answer is "oh LS/VTEC all the way!" Theres alot people that say LS turbo too, but im not getting into that.

and everytime the question of the reliability comes up, the answer is "LS/VTEC is as reliable as you build it and/or the person that builds it"

my question is for all you LS/VTEC fans is: Is the money, time, and everything else you spend on getting your LS/VTEC built right so that it might be as reliable, worth the extra 37cc you get by having an LS block instead of a gsr block???

94+ GSR blocks = 1797cc 94+ LS blocks = 1834cc
Old 04-16-2003, 01:41 PM
Powered ByYo Mommas Mouth

well im more for the b16, i have read horror stories about ls's period, but hey im not a mechanic, im sure if you really strain any engine it will eventually give way, just ask my d-series block in my car now....i have heard the b16 is the most reliable and optimal for the smaller cars, but the gsr is for the med cars, and the type-r for the larger sedans and 4 doors, so its really comes down to you and money/time
Old 04-16-2003, 01:56 PM
GONZO SHAPED MEMBER

Originally posted by styles999
i have heard the b16 is the most reliable and optimal for the smaller cars, but the gsr is for the med cars, and the type-r for the larger sedans and 4 doors, so its really comes down to you and money/time
What are you talking about?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
KJ
bored at work

It comes down to availability. I have an lsvtec and it has over 35k miles on it, alot of hard miles too. I love that engine but I'd rather have a gsr block, but they are tough to find. For the price of a stock gsr block you could buy and build an ls block. So for the same money the lsvtec will be faster. As far as reliability I've personaly built several and all are still running to this day but I've also seen a few blow too, but I've also seen almost every Honda engine out there blow at some time or another.

So I guess my opinion is if you want to build a 1.8L and you are having a tough time finding a good b18c block go for an ls block but do it right.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:06 PM