Mazda Tech If your Mazda is a brap brap,or a zoom zoom, then this is your place.

MazdaSpeed Protege?

Old 09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Cracka-Faced Cracka!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MazdaSpeed Protege?

whats the deal with this car? i drove one and it was kinda quick(like a FWD DSM). whats the stats on them? are they prone to any problems? i seen someone talkin bout "flashing the computer" or somethin..........

Originally Posted by moldyhands
in the immortal words of the very wise Kid Rock, "3 foot tall with a 10 foot dick"

though for me, you'd have to change it to 10 inches, and you'd have to change inches to millimeters, and you'd have to change 10 to 5 and you'd have to change dick to poor excuse for one.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:34 PM
Masticator

Well the Mazda Speed comes rated at 170, but thats to the crank. Most #'s put down to the wheels have been about 150 HP and Ft. lbs. of torque.

I personally love my Mazda Speed because of all the stuff that came with it. Just like any car that has not had alot of pre-production time...Mazda Speed protege's have been prone to a clunk in the rear end due to an improperly seated upper spring bushing. As well due to the fact that a company called Callaway made our turbo and had a role in the design fase, mazda still thought they would change the parameters on our PCM's. This caused a severly rich running car which you call the Mazda Speed. They came out with a Flash for our PCM's now that just advances your timing...which you dont want in a turbo car.

As well a few people have installed stand-alone to take the place of our shitty PCM's.

My opinion is that this is a rare car. Mine is # 886 out of 1750. The little things I can figure out to fix and any major problem's will eventually become recalls or campaigns threw the dealership.

Not only that with a slight amount of modifications you can easily be in the 13's with this car. With an injen CAI, MBC at about 10 psi, exhaust removed for track, and some Nitto's.

R.I.P.
2003 Mazda Speed Protege - Black Mica
# 886 out of 1750
1/4 Times
60 2.26 1/8 8.96 mph 82.97 1/4 13.72 mph 103.36

Last edited by MSP Chris; 09-25-2003 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:21 AM
cone junkie

Depending on your goals for power, the gearbox becomes a shortcoming. Then again, the stock FSDE isn't the best motor anyway.

It's a GREAT daily driver. It's NOT a great tuner car.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 09-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Masticator

I think the best term is...It is'nt a DSM. I love my car, the handiling is incredible and I have serious problems adjusting back to the regular economy cars my friends drive because they lack the firmer chassis.

The power may not be wheel spinning third power but it will get you there quickly with a few select mods.

R.I.P.
2003 Mazda Speed Protege - Black Mica
# 886 out of 1750
1/4 Times
60 2.26 1/8 8.96 mph 82.97 1/4 13.72 mph 103.36
Old 09-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Cracka-Faced Cracka!

well if i was to get one..i wouldnt mod it..i spent enuff $$ on modding my mustang and all it got me was alot of wasted $ and a car sittin in the garage.

Originally Posted by moldyhands
in the immortal words of the very wise Kid Rock, "3 foot tall with a 10 foot dick"

though for me, you'd have to change it to 10 inches, and you'd have to change inches to millimeters, and you'd have to change 10 to 5 and you'd have to change dick to poor excuse for one.