Nissan/Infiniti Tech SR20DET? RB26DETT? VQ35DE? What's it all mean? Find out here!

How much should a decent body kit cost?

Old 05-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Whips Come From Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackzenki82
some people don't want to drive around, pushing pennies in thier JDM tyte drifter 240's, some just want to make it look fanceh for the hangouts...

If you drift/beat the crap out of your car, get a cheap ass kit, and have some po dunk body shop scuff and squirt it.

If you just want to have a nice clean, presentable car, go legit, it's worth every penny, and your wallet will thank you for it.
I agree with this pretty much completely. IF your going for clean baller daily or show car styling, buy a legit kit it'll be more money but less work on your part plus it'll look better and have that "cool" factor that legit parts give your car. On the other hand if your going to put your coils to the lowest setting and slide your car around as much as possible (like me) buy a cheaper kit and get good at fiberglass work because your gunna fuck shit up. Just whatever you do make sure your wheels fit the styling of your kit, I hate seeing conservative wheels with super aggressive aero.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by korito727
I agree with this pretty much completely. IF your going for clean baller daily or show car styling, buy a legit kit it'll be more money but less work on your part plus it'll look better and have that "cool" factor that legit parts give your car. On the other hand if your going to put your coils to the lowest setting and slide your car around as much as possible (like me) buy a cheaper kit and get good at fiberglass work because your gunna fuck shit up. Just whatever you do make sure your wheels fit the styling of your kit, I hate seeing conservative wheels with super aggressive aero.
hmm idk what to do anymore :/ I want it to look good but still be low/go sliding on occasion
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
JDM cavaliers

Why don't you work on suspension, fixing things, and buy nice wheels first? Stock body nice wheels > shit wheels and kit.

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Whips Come From Japan

If you really want to buy a nice kit than do it, youll be happy with it and itll look good. Just take it off before practices or w.e. and dont get upset if you do end up wrecking it somehow. Aero is something you have to buy knowing its going to take battle damage and just prepair yourself in advance for having to stitch your $500-$1000 body kit back together (or like I said get good at fiberglassing). I wont spend enough money on anything for my car to make me worried about having fun with it.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KendallH
Why don't you work on suspension, fixing things, and buy nice wheels first? Stock body nice wheels > shit wheels and kit.
The thing is I'm only 16 years old, and I live in a gated neighborhood so it has to look nice before I put in my driveway, otherwise I have to keep it in storage. But I'm thinking that I might wait until next summer and keep saving up money in the mean time so I can do everything at once, unless I can find I really good deal before then.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:14 PM
buildin' it

Originally Posted by Boozy
The thing is I'm only 16 years old, and I live in a gated neighborhood so it has to look nice before I put in my driveway, otherwise I have to keep it in storage. But I'm thinking that I might wait until next summer and keep saving up money in the mean time so I can do everything at once, unless I can find I really good deal before then.
don't get any kind of body kit, aero, anything like that.
get the stock bumpers.
get the car painted one color.
Then, go through the car, top to bottom, front to back, and fix EVERYTHING.
You're buying a car that is older than you.
It is worn out. Everything is worn out. Parts that you don't even know exist yet are worn out.
Even if you are buying a really "cool" car from someone else that has fixed it up or whatever, everything is still broken.
there are only a handful of people in the entire state that I would trust with buying a car from that everything has already been fixed on it.
so instead of wasting all of your time and money on some body kit, just get what is broken, fixed.
Hell, the windshield is going to be all scratched up.
There are 5 dozen things that would be better to spend your money on instead of a body kit.
If the paint is really that bad that you won't be allowed to park it in your driveway, then get it painted. Doesn't have to be anything special, just so it looks decent.
I know it is hard to wrap your head around at 16 years old, but there are so much better ways to spend your money instead of just the basic looks of a car. Most people don't think body kits look good anyway. Only a small portion of "car people" do. The average person thinks that cars with a bodykit are owned and driven by punk ass kids that don't know better.
At 16, it is highly unlikely that you even know all of the parts that can and are worn out on an older car, let along how to replace them.
Trust me, even if the car runs and drives "perfect" there are still dozens of things that could be better.
Take the money that you would spend on a body kit and fix the oil leaks. get a decent tune up. replace all of the worn out, 20 year old rubber bushings with new, quality parts. Detail the interior, replacing all of the worn out parts. Fix the rust in your hatch. Fix the leaky sunroof weather stripping. Replace the scratched windshield. Fix the exhaust leaks. Get a spare engine. Prepare for the oil pump, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, etc to go bad. Fix and update the a/c correctly. Get a decent battery. upgrade the sound system to something quality. Buy decent, quality wheels and tires. Learn what all you can do with the car, and learn what all you actually want to do with the car and set goals with it. Learn the difference between cheap and inexpensive. Learn the difference between expensive parts and quality parts. Learn how to drive. Trust me, at 16, unless you have been racing since you were 12, you don't know how to drive yet.
the list goes on and on, and that is all before you buy a body kit.

With that said, if you are stuck on getting a body kit.
Don't cheap out. Find the look you want. Find out what parts you need to get that look. Find a bodyshop/painter that will install it, and do a quality job. Triple check that the job is done correctly, and get a quality paint job for the whole car, not just the body kit parts.
A good rule to follow when getting body kits and all of that is that you want it to look like it was there from the factory. Like it was designed that way, like those parts were supposed to be there.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:36 PM

I ended up buying this for $500, so now i have some money left over to work with

Last edited by Boozy; 06-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:49 PM
JDM cavaliers

And a lot to work ON

...and then I wondered why I was on Stanceworks forums...
Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by KendallH
And a lot to work ON
obviously. Time is what I have the most of. I got this car knowing that i might not ever finish it and I could lose a lot of money building it. I got one for so cheap so I could learn how to work on everything.

Last edited by Boozy; 06-07-2012 at 10:46 AM.