Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Roll on Paint job

Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 PM
The Riot Society

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll on Paint job

There may be a thread for this already, so if there is, sorry, I couldn't keep this a secret lol

I'm looking at getting a car that has a complete shit paint job. I thought about my options, rattle can (not what I wanna do, but it's cheap), or spending the money and having a good full job done (want to, but can't afford it). Then I remembered someone at a car meet mentioning a roller paint job....

So I searched and found this article. Not only does this Corvair turn out awesome, It only cost him around $50 to do, and he did it in his driveway, AND three years later, other than rock chips and what not, it STILL looks good.

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

I'm interested to hear your professional opinions.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM
Do it big.1 life to live.

Oh damn, lmk if you go through with this, I might try it

Old 07-23-2010, 05:45 AM
I race sailboats

A lot of people do that, it always looks like complete shit.

Don't do it.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-23-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by omgwtfbbq!
A lot of people do that, it always looks like complete shit.

Don't do it.
Is it possible that they half assed it? That Guy did 6 coats with plenty of wet sanding, but if you've seen it done and it looks like shit then fuck it.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
I race sailboats

Of course it was half assed. Doing real prep work sucks complete balls, no one finishes it correctly, unless they're a professional. It takes hundreds of hours of work, and generally the people doing $50 paint jobs aren't into investing that kind of time.

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM
The Riot Society

generally. If I do it, I'm not half assing anything.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Petitt
generally. If I do it, I'm not half assing anything.
What color are you planning to do? Def. post up some pics if you go through with it..

Old 07-23-2010, 09:49 AM
grease monkey!

why not just thin the paint out and spray it instead of roll it? that would give a better finish and mean less wet sanding. btw, the proper automotive paint for a car is ~$150 and then you can get an hvlp gun at harbor freight for like $25. you can find air compressors on craigslist for cheap if you dont already have one. air/water separator is like $10. so for less then $300 if your willing to put in the elbow grease for proper prep work and can spray properly youll have a MUCH nicer paint job.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2117186/1 blue 85 supra, beater

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2965297/1black 86. saved from the crusher! wicked setup on the way.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2235741/1 64 chevy c10, finally getting a new body. woot!
Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM
"Non Silba Sed Anthar"

ok, mind you this is just my opinion on the subject, with that said i will go on my rant.

First of all the job does look pretty damn decent, but he does not show any real close ups to show if there is any orange peal and what not.

Second is I highly doubt that it did last 3 years when he had damage and then he hit it with a buffer and compound to get out the marks as he said, most of all on the stripe that was done with a rattle can, that stuff will not hold up that long in the sun and even more when you hit it with a real buffer and compound with grit in it. think about it if you have a entertainment center and you spray it with a spray can how long does it last? and that is not even in the sun.

Third, to the guy that said that it takes "hundreds of hours to prep" that is a exaggeration to say the least, it does take alot of time but if you have an idea it is just a question of doing it in stages and if you are trying to save money in trying to do it yourself then you have nothing but time and that is free so i dont think he did it half assed otherwise it would be just throwing away the 50 bucks and as he said it did cost him more because he had to buy a real buffer/polisher in order to do the job correct, and as the other guy said you can buy a in-expensive gravity fed HVLP gun to get a better finish so you dont have to do nearly as much wet sanding to get that nice finish which means alot of elbow grease if you dont have the proper buffer or sander.

In my opinion you would be better off buying some spray equipment and laying it on that way with automotive paint and it will last you alot longer and with about the same if not less work.

feel free to ask any specific questions that you have and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge and I will check this thread often to see if you have any.

And again this is just my .02 not to offend anyone or lead you in the wrong direction, and also I dont know if there are shops around there that do what I do the help people out in your situation but I will let people use some of my area and do some of the prep themselves and I just shoot the vehicle and it saves them alot of money, if you have a way to do most of the prep I can get you a real good deal on the paint and stuff and then shoot it for you for a damn good price if you are willing to drive a couple of hours to drop it off for a couple of days, and then you feel better that you actually did some of the paint and body on your car.

OK rant over,

LMK.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
The Riot Society

I'll hit you up for paint then lol.

When I paint mine, I'll probably just go to white, because it doesn't show imperfections, and doesn't stand out to cops lol

oh and odds are, that car was not daily driven, so the 3 year thing was probably closer to 7 to 10 months