Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Lens repair?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:57 AM
As Seen On TV!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lens repair?

I was bitching to a fellow dog owner, who has a Rebel XT, about this one lens I have sometimes focusing, and sometimes not. My view screen on my D50 is too small to tell that it's out of focus..it's not obvious until you view it in an editing program. Said friend told me that maybe my lens just needs to be repaired..that it could have been dropped..that could be the cause (I was cursing it and talking about buying a new lens). Since it was used when I got it, I have no idea if it's been dropped or not.

Anyway, does that sound right? That it could just need a simple repair? I never have this problem with my other lenses.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old 06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
DD.
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford DNA
I was bitching to a fellow dog owner, who has a Rebel XT, about this one lens I have sometimes focusing, and sometimes not. My view screen on my D50 is too small to tell that it's out of focus..it's not obvious until you view it in an editing program. Said friend told me that maybe my lens just needs to be repaired..that it could have been dropped..that could be the cause (I was cursing it and talking about buying a new lens). Since it was used when I got it, I have no idea if it's been dropped or not.

Anyway, does that sound right? That it could just need a simple repair? I never have this problem with my other lenses.
Well since its just that lense then most likely thats the problem. You can take it to any camera store/shop and have them take a quick look at it though. They should be able to tell you what the problem is.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:22 AM
BOOSTEDNATION.ORG

My pictures don't always come out crisp when I use the view screen either but my lens is fine (Fuji S9000). The problem is the screen sometimes distorts enough that the image looks clear when its still slightly out of focus.

Solution: Use the eye piece to be sure image is in focus and make sure its adjusted for your eyes.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:01 PM
As Seen On TV!

No, my camera doesn't even allow using the view thing for taking the pictures. It is just for reviewing. I use the eye piece to take the picture, then look at it on the view thing. You can't always tell that the subject is out of focus. I took about 7 shots of my dog, him standing still, and only 1 came out clean.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Race Photographer

use the zoom function to look at detail on the screen. Its probably not the lens, it could be just a camera shake from you holding it or pressing the shutter button. And what lens is it? If its a cheap kit lens, just buy a new one if you think its that, it could be more cost effective and quicker. I really dont know of any places in tampa that will do that kinda repair. Most places send it off, so thats down time, and not always a quick turn around either.

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 06-29-2007, 12:41 AM
BOOSTEDNATION.ORG

Originally Posted by Mars_302
it could be just a camera shake from you holding it or pressing the shutter button
Thats true. Didn't think about that.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:03 AM
As Seen On TV!

Like I said, it's only this one lens. The "cheap kit" lens that the camera came with doesn't do it!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:36 AM
As Seen On TV!

The lens is a little bit older (maybe 5 years old) Quantaray 70-300mm.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 AM
As Seen On TV!

I'd kinda like to know if it's just a POS lens or if I just need a repair. I was planning on buying a new one until my friend told me that..

Old 06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Race Photographer

that lens is like $130 new anyway

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement