Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

France?, Photos, Question.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default France?, Photos, Question.

Heh,

I figured since I had a question I might as well ask and leave photos behind.

I'm going to France for 12 days to a film festival I was invited to go to. I just received the date I'm leaving which will be may 10th

I have to spend 10 hours in Amsterdam till I can go to Nice France. Then I'll take a buss to Cannes France. I'm pretty scared since I never left the country & I never traveled by my self before so this being my first time I'd like to come back in one piece.

Anyone have any tips for me when in Amsterdam & if anyone has been to France like the do's and don'ts

Also FYI, I never smoked, don't smoke so please don't offer me to spoke reefer, I don't find spending money on such a useless sport joyful...

PICS!

Shooting a short film in Ybor, its at the italian club.

I have some photos I'll post, shot on a 5D, I'll show you the short film once done in post.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Ok here is what I learned from France... Paris that is. When you buy your little tickets to get on the subway you need them to get off the subway so don't throw them away after you get on the train. Its really stupid if you want to buy 20 trips they print out 20 little tickets that are like 1" x 1.5" so its a pain to keep track of which ones you have used. So I thought ok after I use it I will throw it away well when me and the lady got off the subway there were guards asking for everyones tickets and I had no idea what to do they told me I would have to pay 50 Euro each so I argued with them til they let me go. They said that I couldn't even go out and come back in with a new ticket or give them one of my good tickets. It was a pain in the ass we were on our way to the Moulin Rouge dressed to the 9s not like we were some punks train hoping! Pack light and make sure you can keep all your stuff close France has a problem with pick pockets. Also don't be a dumbass and leave your SD card in your laptop when you go out to take pictures like me.

Never been to Nice or Cannes so not sure about the specific places.

Amsterdam is fantastic me and the lady have been twice, and no we don't smoke so in the same boat as you. When you get there the airport is outside the city (assuming you are flying into Schiphol Airport) so walk outside get a taxi and have them take you to the city center you can take the tram/train its cheaper but slower the taxi drivers drive like indy racers lol. From there you can walk around and see everything, great architecture red light district if you just wanna walk through and check it out, its much more lively at night not sure how long you are there.

Traveling alone is no problem I do it all the time but just make sure you check with your airline on the number if bags and sizes you are allowed to have that way you don't cause any problems.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I'll try to answer whatever I can.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by sfr002
Amsterdam is fantastic me and the lady have been twice, and no we don't smoke so in the same boat as you. When you get there the airport is outside the city (assuming you are flying into Schiphol Airport) so walk outside get a taxi and have them take you to the city center you can take the tram/train its cheaper but slower the taxi drivers drive like indy racers lol. From there you can walk around and see everything, great architecture red light district if you just wanna walk through and check it out, its much more lively at night not sure how long you are there.
I had a 14 hour layover on my way back from Prague, from 640p Sat to 840a Sun.

The train only took me about 15 minutes to get from Schipol to Centraal Amsterdam (i dont think there were any stops in between, and if there were we only stopped for like a minute), and at 4€ (3 if you pay cash) its a pretty good deal. They say watch out for your bags on the train because thats where the pick pocketers and luggage stealers are, but they also say they're cracking down so its not as bad... i dont know which to believe. They have lockers in the airport for 5€, so if you're not staying long (like a long layover) just throw your shit in one of those and keep your camera bag on you.

There's a lot going on in Amsterdam on the weekends. It was 29degrees out when i went and the streets were still packed. There is more to do at night, but if you plan on doing any shooting, do it during the day. If you must shoot at night, a tripod is mandatory. When trying to shoot the canals, there really is not much light around. I think you might be able to get away with a monopod and a fast lens, but that might be pushing it. But honestly the canals just look better during the day.

As far as stuff to do, when you get to the train station (if you take the train) walk outside the south entrance (by the construction, not the bike rental boats), across the bridge and to the right. Buy a ticket for a canal cruise. Best 12.50€ i ever spent. My best advise after that? Get lost. I literally just walked until I had no idea where I was, and then I wandered around for another 3 hours.

The red light district is... crazy. One of the main streets has a canal FILLED with swans in the middle. not just a couple... hundreds. Its just odd to be able to window shop for people. Oh, and to be safe you should keep your camera in your bag by the shops. I saw a bouncer smash a dude's 5DmkII and kick it into the canal because he thought he was sneaky taking pictures of the girls.

Be careful with these things:

Its not a phone boot. Public urinal, so dont stand too close because the drunks sometimes miss and the piss covers the ground all around it.

I think thats about it, i'll post more tidbits as I remember them.

Web | Blog | Flickr

Last edited by The Chimichunga; 03-30-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

My pics from Amsterdam don't have any from Paris cause I left my SD card lol

Amsterdam - a set on Flickr
Old 03-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Well I'm going to buy a point & shoot from bestbuy in case it gets stolen I don't mind.

I'm going to the Cannes film festival, not sure if you heard about it or not but its a big deal. I was offered a red carpet run-way walk through so I figured I'd go.

I have a laptop book bag that I might just go to the Apple store and buy my self a standard shoulder laptop carry-case so I know no one behind me is unzipping my bag.

When I switch flights do I have to get my bags off or do they do that for me and get it ready for my next plane.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:54 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Originally Posted by Enz01
Well I'm going to buy a point & shoot from bestbuy in case it gets stolen I don't mind.

I'm going to the Cannes film festival, not sure if you heard about it or not but its a big deal. I was offered a red carpet run-way walk through so I figured I'd go.

I have a laptop book bag that I might just go to the Apple store and buy my self a standard shoulder laptop carry-case so I know no one behind me is unzipping my bag.

When I switch flights do I have to get my bags off or do they do that for me and get it ready for my next plane.
You will have to get your bags and take them through customs when you reach your final destination. What is your Itinerary? If you are flying the same airline and you booked it all together your checked bags will travel with you.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:56 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

Hmm if you are flying from home to lets say JFK NY then to Amsterdam then 2 France I think you will have to get your bags in Amsterdam and recheck them to France not sure I don't remember my layovers normally aren't that long or they are like 23 hours and I get a hotel.

But if it all on the same itinerary it should go all the way.

Last edited by sfr002; 03-30-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:01 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

When you check your bags in Tampa or where ever you are leaving from if the baggage tag says AMS your bag will be in amsterdam if it says CEQ it will end up in Cannes just ask at the counter when you check.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 AM

That's awesome man, congrats!

I think mostly just use common sense, which it seems like you have. Don't go down shady alley ways with loads of gear, etc. Watching your pockets was already mentioned, and that's a good tip. I always keep my wallet in my front pocket, and when in Europe I don't carry too much cash in one spot.

I've never been to Cannes, but Nice is really nice (haha). This is the perfect time of year to go there. I was only there for a day and a half, but I would definitely go back.

If you want to see any of my shots from Nice, or anywhere else from my trip, you can check out my travel pics on flickr
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 AM
DD.
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think i may sticky this. Some good info here for those planning to travel.