Photography & Graphics Got a cool photoshop? Need a signature?

Photography schools/courses?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Bori300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photography schools/courses?

Hey my brother is intrested in taking some type of photography courses so he can learn more and actually get into the trade either to make some money and as well for a hobby. Id like to know what school or academies yall suggest, if any. He would like to enroll as soon as he finished high school, which is in less then 2 years. He is beginning his junior year in August . Thanks ahead of time for your help..

TR "Old Skool DA" Member #55
Old 07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
I am mom!

Is he looking to just take a few classes or to get a degree in photography? Some high schools offer photography as an elective. He might want to check into that but if he wants a degree either IADT - Tampa or Art Institute.

I'm a student at IADT and he can either go for his A.S. or a bachelors in fine arts...which ever he wants.

The kid is selling it all
Check it out
Old 07-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh, Hi.

^Honest review of IADT?

Everyone I've talked to that went there said it was nothing short of a terrible degree mill.

DC5-S: 343whp @12psi/pump *sold*
E46 BMW: Dinan / ACS / Hartge / UUC *sold*
E30 BMW: M50 / H1C / low boost *sold*
EJ8: aggressive fitment DD
TSX: NBP A-Spec 6spd, slammed on 18x9.5's +20,+17.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Mamma you attend IADT? What term are you in?
Old 07-07-2010, 08:30 AM
Bori300

Originally Posted by Mama Got Boost??
Is he looking to just take a few classes or to get a degree in photography? Some high schools offer photography as an elective. He might want to check into that but if he wants a degree either IADT - Tampa or Art Institute.

I'm a student at IADT and he can either go for his A.S. or a bachelors in fine arts...which ever he wants.
thanks mama. yesterday he submitted some info to receive some brochures and stuff through the mail.

TR "Old Skool DA" Member #55
Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I am mom!

Originally Posted by 8600RPM
^Honest review of IADT?

Everyone I've talked to that went there said it was nothing short of a terrible degree mill.
I have no complaints so far. Actually, I take that back. The only complaint that I have is the class times but with as small as the school is, I can understand. They putt he class times when there are the most students in the class. For me, that's difficult sometimes because they do them at night and getting a sitter is sometimes a bit challenging but nothing that I can't get around.

I've learned more in the 8 months I've been there, then I would of searching the internet for answers.

Originally Posted by Enz01
Mamma you attend IADT? What term are you in?
Yeah. Just finished my 5th term, starting the 6th in 2 weeks. About 1/2 way through my A.S. Still undecided if I'm going to continue on to my bachelors or stay with my A.S.

Check it out
Old 07-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Oh, Hi.

Originally Posted by Mama Got Boost??
I have no complaints so far. Actually, I take that back. The only complaint that I have is the class times but with as small as the school is, I can understand. They putt he class times when there are the most students in the class. For me, that's difficult sometimes because they do them at night and getting a sitter is sometimes a bit challenging but nothing that I can't get around.

I've learned more in the 8 months I've been there, then I would of searching the internet for answers.

Yeah. Just finished my 5th term, starting the 6th in 2 weeks. About 1/2 way through my A.S. Still undecided if I'm going to continue on to my bachelors or stay with my A.S.
Cool, I'd say thats a pretty positive review then, thanks!

DC5-S: 343whp @12psi/pump *sold*
E46 BMW: Dinan / ACS / Hartge / UUC *sold*
E30 BMW: M50 / H1C / low boost *sold*
EJ8: aggressive fitment DD
TSX: NBP A-Spec 6spd, slammed on 18x9.5's +20,+17.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:25 PM

IADT photo department has a lot of flaws that you'll never see or hear about until later down the road.

I don't work in the photo department, I just knew one who did and two that does work in the department.

For example, Gwen doesn't even have a college degree, he's currently going for one right now because corporate wants him to have one to teach. However I am sure Momma will vouch for this, he knows his shit & is very good at what he does...He's written three or more books in his life time and he's got a story for everything.

The school use to have a lot of money to spend, like there hassles they have...When they had 250+ students they were given what-ever they wanted.
I mean I know the school just purchased 2 or more HMI's for the photo department, rumors from one of the professors, they're merging there photo program with a video program to make video & stills mix. IDK I've heard from a chair head in the video department they're going to buy a RED ONE camera, thats 100,000 dollars for a full package...Maybe IADT is starting to step up...

But think of it like this...IADT can't make you learn anything, you have to take 14hrs per week and learn on your own time. IADT can only shape you into what-ever your going for.

I mean theres always the flip side of how hard I've heard it is to rent out equipment...From what I've been told if you have boobs & you flirt with Jesse you'll get gear.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Just keep in mind IADT is an expensive school. If they have great cameras and equipment than it could be worth it. I don't know what the tuition is now but when I was looking a couple years ago it was like around $30,000 for an A.S. and an additional $30,000 for the Bachelors. It might be more than that now. I sort of feel like with photography if you can get in a studio enviroment that actually might be better than spending a lot at IADT. It's a lot of money to payback.
DC CREW MEMBER #18
Old 07-08-2010, 02:50 AM
I am mom!

Originally Posted by alias
I don't know what the tuition is now but when I was looking a couple years ago it was like around $30,000 for an A.S. and an additional $30,000 for the Bachelors.
Not sure how you would know what the Bachelors was a couple of years ago when they just started offering it July 1st? lol Yes it is expensive but so is any degree you go for.

IADT offers an AS in photography, not just a certificate like some tech schools offer. In the Bachelors degree, they are merging some video into the course simply because that's where photography is headed whether people like it or not. It only makes you more versatile when it comes to your career.

The school may have great equipment but you don't use the schools equipment. You use your own camera. You can "rent" lenses from the school but only on a daily basis. Getting into a studio environment is great, but it's tough. There are a lot of photographers out there that won't hire an "intern" simply for the fact that they will or could eventually become their competition.

I personally haven't had Gwen yet but I've talked to a few students that have had him and he knows his shit. That's like most of the teachers there, they don't have degrees but they've been shooting for 20+ years if not longer. CJ, the wedding/event photographer, doesn't have a degree either but I'll be damned if she isn't a gorgeous photographer and can work wonders with natural light. Bruce, the portrait photographer could blow any of you away with his portrait skills.

While having a degree doesn't "make" you a photographer, it does help you mold yourself into what you want to do with your camera. The AS is more then just going to school, shooting and your done. It's about marketing, your portfolio, Photoshop, commercial/advertising...and the list goes on.

You have to want to go to school and make it worth it for yourself. It's not for everyone. Some people can sit in front of the computer and learn something in a matter of hours and master it. For me it's a personal preference about going back to school and doing something for myself. Plain and simple.

People can knock me and tell me that I'm spending too much money on a degree or what not, but really, I don't care. I could say the same thing for the people that I know that just graduated USF with business degrees and are working at the mall.

Check it out