Power Adders Technical discussion related to Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide
Sponsored by: CARiD

whats diference in roots and screw type SC?

Old 01-09-2002 | 06:48 AM
Senior Citizen

centrifugal = high rpm airflow think of it as a belt drieven turbo since the impeller speeds are comparable.
roots = lower rpm grunt and not as efficient in the upper revs

09' Ninja 500R

09' Stella
Old 01-09-2002 | 03:50 PM
Red Stripe Beer!

Procharger owns I like the intercooler gives me a import feeling lol

1997 GT: Mods: 180 Degree Thermostat, Flowmaster 2 Chambers, MAC O/R H Pipe, MAC Cold Air Intake w/K&N Filter, 75mm Ported Upper Intake w/ 75mm BBK Throttle Body, Screamin Demon Coils with Livewires

1997 GT: has front end damage still drives FOR SALE
AIM:OmFgStFu
Old 01-11-2002 | 10:34 AM
Senior Citizen

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by Fordman
Lets straighten this out a little. Most of you are pretty much correct. I did a lot of research on both types of blowers for my car and here is what I found out:

Roots blowers are good for low end torque and have better throttle response (hits quicker) given they are right on top of the motor unlike a centrificual blower. They (roots blowers) can make good h.p. but to do this you have to make a lot more boost. This is where the problem comes in with roots blowers. There biggest draw-back is heat. The screws in the roots blowers generate a lot of heat and the faster you turn them the more heat they make so therefore they are not as effecient as the centrificual blowers and the heat ends up costing you H.P. not to mention more wear on the motor.

Both are belt driven. The roots blowers are much cheaper and very easy to install.

Roots blowers are more commonly used on production cars because they take less engineering to get them to fit under the hood and are better for everyday driving (more torque).

The centrificual blowers are the way to go if you have the room under the hood. They have far more potential for street use. If you had a all out drag car the roots blowers will kill the centificual in many aspects this is why all the top fuel alcohol and pro mod teams use roots blowers.

Hope that helped.

Outstanding..lol..you said what I did with more words

09' Ninja 500R

09' Stella
Old 01-11-2002 | 11:09 AM
whoopdy fucking do!

true about the rea drag cars but then again the roots style blowers they use are alot different than say a saleen or FRpp unit even kenne bell---they are not nearly as big as the ones you see on drag cars.....