Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

Boom*.... Waiting leak down test`s

Old 07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
DJC
Get Some...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewPuBeaver
well just got the word. car should be put back together by this afternoon. seems the turbo went due to the fact that the BOV could not vent enough air fast enough, thus creating compressor surge. Dustin has yet to exzamine the turbo to see exzactly what went wrong with it. but i am sure i'll find out soon.
oh wow, that's something you don't hear everyday...(aftmkt BOV not only required but not venting quick enough!)
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
*Big Schpellar*

yea i know.. James, be carefull. it happednt to me on 23.5psi and i hit that in every gear pretty much... so it was really hard on the turbo, since there was surgeing... i highly doubt you would have any issues with the BOV on a stock turbo car...
Old 07-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

well just got the word. car should be put back together by this afternoon. seems the turbo went due to the fact that the BOV could not vent enough air fast enough, thus creating compressor surge. Dustin has yet to exzamine the turbo to see exzactly what went wrong with it. but i am sure i'll find out soon.
From what I've been told ball bearing turbos dont even need a BOV cuz comp surge doesnt hurt them. I may be misinformed
Old 07-29-2006, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie Figs
I may be misinformed
* IP Web-Site

* RIP Kevin/Slo_Si RIP & Pablo/Fathead
Old 07-29-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Alpha
Ok, thanks for clearing that up
Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 AM
*Big Schpellar*

i think the missinformed part is about what compressor surge is...

compressor surge is when the turbo need to release that pressure that would normaly be routed throught the BOV to either exscape to atmophere to to be recircluated back in to the intake track.

so when this air doesnt exscape it cause the turbo to stall so to speak, witch is very hard on the turbo.

so yes you could run the turbo with out a BOV, but pretty sure the car would run. but you really need to get that pressure off the turbo somehow.

and if you were to just take the BOV off the car, you wouldnt like that either, car wont really run at all due to the vacuum leak
Old 07-29-2006, 06:04 PM
*Big Schpellar*

Yes.

The Worx BOV doesnt vent fast enough. so i will be switching up the set up. the Worx piece is a great peice for a lesser set up, but for my needs it isnt cutting it.

i would recomend getting rid of yours James.

more info soon on my set up.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:35 AM

i think the missinformed part is about what compressor surge is...

compressor surge is when the turbo need to release that pressure that would normaly be routed throught the BOV to either exscape to atmophere to to be recircluated back in to the intake track.

so when this air doesnt exscape it cause the turbo to stall so to speak, witch is very hard on the turbo.

so yes you could run the turbo with out a BOV, but pretty sure the car would run. but you really need to get that pressure off the turbo somehow.

and if you were to just take the BOV off the car, you wouldnt like that either, car wont really run at all due to the vacuum leak
I know what surge is. I know that surge puts stress on the thrust bearing and thats why a BOV is good to have, but I took apart a BB turbo and it didnt have a thrust bearing. My friend had told me that since a BB turbo doesnt have one a BOV isnt needed.

What happens when the wheel "stalls" that would cause the seals to go, other than thrust bearing failure?