Subaru Tech All We'll Drive

400+HP 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon ?

Old 12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Project Flying Dutchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh my. well that all sounds really good to me. i'll let you guys know about the block. im more interested in the sti block though.. but i'll let everyone know about the offers. thanks again peeps !
Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 AM
No Ants Drift Member

if it were me, i would attempt to find a COD or wrecked late model STi and purchase that as a donor. this way, you would have subframes, wiring, transmission, axles, spindles, etc. EVERYTHING would be there for for a complete swap including 6 speed and necessary ancillary parts.

after that, its all labor. focus on getting the car operational first, then add supporting mods later to achieve the hp goal you have in mind.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ShockerGT
Don't forget to get a wideband

psssh... you dont need no stinkin wideband
Old 12-02-2009, 11:48 AM
TR Shop Mod

Honestly, the ONLY way your going to have something that makes 400whp and drives "right" and consistently is going to be to buy a rolled '05+ STi and swap EVERYTHING. Driveline, wiring harness, dash, brakes, axles, etc.

If you try to build power in a "lesser" block, you'll spend more to make less so you might as well use the motor from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you try to control (engine management) your 400whp motor with anything shy of a WRX or STi harness and ecu you'll have problems, so you might as well use the harness and ecu from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you just put a 400whp motor in it, you'll break your tranny, so you might as well get the 6mt from the STi your going to use for the swap.

If you build your tranny you might eventually grenade a lesser diff, so you might as well use the diff from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you just put a 400whp motor and tranny in it, you won't be able to stop it, so you might as well use the brakes from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you... well, you get the point.

Siegel
www.forgedperformance.com
770-792-0202

Siegel Racing
404-388-8751
www.siegelracing.com
Driver / Engineer / Tuner / Instructor
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by Siegel Racing
Honestly, the ONLY way your going to have something that makes 400whp and drives "right" and consistently is going to be to buy a rolled '05+ STi and swap EVERYTHING. Driveline, wiring harness, dash, brakes, axles, etc.

If you try to build power in a "lesser" block, you'll spend more to make less so you might as well use the motor from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you try to control (engine management) your 400whp motor with anything shy of a WRX or STi harness and ecu you'll have problems, so you might as well use the harness and ecu from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you just put a 400whp motor in it, you'll break your tranny, so you might as well get the 6mt from the STi your going to use for the swap.

If you build your tranny you might eventually grenade a lesser diff, so you might as well use the diff from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you just put a 400whp motor and tranny in it, you won't be able to stop it, so you might as well use the brakes from the STi you're going to use for the swap.

If you... well, you get the point.

Siegel

So, basically save up your money and buy an sti lol

Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
TR Shop Mod

You can get a decent rolled '05 for $7k, I'd hold out for the '06 so you get the better diff and steering angle sensor, they're usually $8500...

Siegel
www.forgedperformance.com
770-792-0202

Siegel Racing
404-388-8751
www.siegelracing.com
Driver / Engineer / Tuner / Instructor
Old 12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
has a new plan in action

i hate how things like this work out but hey not my project i aim a little lower

Old 12-03-2009, 04:37 AM
Project Flying Dutchman

yeah that's what I was thinking. I just have to keep my eyes out for a wrecked sti around here or the georgia range... im trying to just get to 400hp. that's about it. But stock is good for a couple of months and breaking the swap in... Then from there try to get into the 400hp range...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 AM
Project Flying Dutchman

and yes I could just save up a little more money and get an sti. but then again, sleeper is bad a$$ in my dictionary
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kensworth
You can do it for under 10k. That is if you can do even a few things by yourself. But dont try to go out of your capabilities

UMMMM... no way you can do this build under 10k!!!