Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Importing FAQ Compilation! (Courtsey of RiceRocket)

Old 04-15-2005, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash
Ok... Theres one car. We are up to like a 4% success rate, and its still not legal...
Lets just analyze the word "legal" for a minute.

Are cars with no "cats" legal?

Are modified hondas w/ rhd conversions legal?

Is it legal to modify a cars fuel system?

Is it legal to swap vins on similar cars?

Is it legal for headlights to be lower than 21 inches on any u.s. vehicle?

Is it legal to import a rare jdm vehicle, be the only "legalizer" in the U.S., charge astronomical prices for "federally" legal cars......and do nearly none of the mandatory "legalizing" procedures to the chassis of said vehicle...but still sell it to the consumer?

Some would say "no" that is not legal..........But if everything above were really looked into by the dot, then I would venture to guess there would only be 65% of the cars you see on the road today.

Old 04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
THE HAMMER

Its a risk you take, but spotting an evo 7 or gtir is a bit different than looking under a car for a cat, or measuring the distance of the headlights to the ground. Mainly because its obvious
Old 04-21-2005, 07:06 PM
yea sweet lemonade

Originally Posted by celm
Lets just analyze the word "legal" for a minute.

Are cars with no "cats" legal?

Are modified hondas w/ rhd conversions legal?

Is it legal to modify a cars fuel system?

Is it legal to swap vins on similar cars?

Is it legal for headlights to be lower than 21 inches on any u.s. vehicle?

Is it legal to import a rare jdm vehicle, be the only "legalizer" in the U.S., charge astronomical prices for "federally" legal cars......and do nearly none of the mandatory "legalizing" procedures to the chassis of said vehicle...but still sell it to the consumer?

Some would say "no" that is not legal..........But if everything above were really looked into by the dot, then I would venture to guess there would only be 65% of the cars you see on the road today.

dude, seriuosly you are a scam artist. i'm smart enough not to buy a non-legal car, but some other morons aren't, good for you-bad for them. stop tring to make your self feel better and just go away. i don't care about State or federal laws at all, but giving false hope and sugar coating the truth make you a scam artist. period. If you tell people up front what your tring to do and they still do it then so be it. but your hiding behind a wall of "ohh its legal" crap. you can fool all the stupid people you want, but don't get all pissy when the smart one's figure your game out.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:42 AM
SOOFIERCE

Exclamation Calculating Risk

I can afford getting a ticket for illegal tint, no cat, loud stereo, ride height, or being Puerto Rican....

I could not afford getting my $ 30,000 dollar car crunched or impounded by the State cause they deemed it "illegal" under some Federal guideline!

Your attempt to proportionally negotiate risk as to selling the notion of "you guys are mostly illegal anyways, why not go all the way?" spits out a syntax error.

In other words, just because one would illegally J-walked doesn’t mean they should rob a bank.

PEACE-
Old 05-19-2005, 08:59 AM
TR Registered Member #5

Im going to expand on this some...

if its over 25 years old, its considered a classic and can be imported with no issues

if you want to import a car for "racing purposes only" the car must be imported in full race form

if you want to import a car for "show or display purposes" you have to fill out an application with the car you want to purchase with the VIN number, pics of all 4 corners, inside, cluster, etc. then you must explain why this car should be imported for show use and what significance it would have. This means you have to find someone that will hold onto the car for some time why you get your application approved, but if you do get approved you can drive the car (legally) 2600 miles a year, or just disconnect the speedo cable

as far as getting a car in and trying to register it as a kit car, you could kind of do it, i checked into this years ago. basically to register a kit car, you bring them paperwork on a chassis, body kit, lights, motor and i think 1 or 2 other things. BUT you can make them yourselves, so you could say, i made this chassis which was baised off of a __________ . Put a body kit on it and change a few things and say you built it. and with this title they DO NOT inspect the car.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 05-19-2005, 10:06 AM
THE HAMMER

Originally Posted by marksaccord95
Im going to expand on this some...

if its over 25 years old, its considered a classic and can be imported with no issues

if you want to import a car for "racing purposes only" the car must be imported in full race form

if you want to import a car for "show or display purposes" you have to fill out an application with the car you want to purchase with the VIN number, pics of all 4 corners, inside, cluster, etc. then you must explain why this car should be imported for show use and what significance it would have. This means you have to find someone that will hold onto the car for some time why you get your application approved, but if you do get approved you can drive the car (legally) 2600 miles a year, or just disconnect the speedo cable

as far as getting a car in and trying to register it as a kit car, you could kind of do it, i checked into this years ago. basically to register a kit car, you bring them paperwork on a chassis, body kit, lights, motor and i think 1 or 2 other things. BUT you can make them yourselves, so you could say, i made this chassis which was baised off of a __________ . Put a body kit on it and change a few things and say you built it. and with this title they DO NOT inspect the car.
1/2 of the things you mention here are felony charges if your caught. I made this post specifically to show how trying to do all these things sucked. I'm surprised you didnt read through the Kit Car section in this thread.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:48 PM
TR Registered Member #5

i didnt read thru the kit car section bc i went to the DMV and asked, and only about 1/3 is a felony

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 05-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Ah, this debate continues on many boards. Eh, I'll throw in my .02 Yen here as well. Just because something is against the law does not mean doing it is wrong. There was a time blacks could not marry whites due to racist anti-misegenation laws. So, to become highly offended at importing non-compliant cars when those laws exist only to benefit the giant corporations is ridiculous. Citing saftey standards for their existence is akin to citing WMDs as the reason for the invasion for Iraq. Both are outright lies used for cover.

But, this is reality and we have to live with it. You want to import a non-complaint car, you better import one that has a US equivelant to have a better chance of going undetected. If not, you run the risk so you get the rewards (of driving) or you get the punishments. Selling non-compliant cars in an attempt to ripoff the unwary is unethical and this is what bothers most (the non-rabid, anyway) import enthusiasts. There is the situation of importing and assembling a "kit car" on your own for your own personal use, and I don't think anyone (other than the most rabid) is too offended by this small act that hurts no one. You must remember that Japan's inspection is way more stringent than anywhere in the US, so the cars are emissions "legal" (they are cleaner than many cars on the road today...that just happen to be American) and crash worthy.

If I were to import a car for personal use, I'd talk to people in the kit-car world and see the hoops they have to jump through. I wouldn't sell my car ever. I drive 'em till they die...except my Skyline which I sold because I had to return to the US. I'd also like to know how the Noble is street legal in the US. They sell a rolling chassis where you install your own engine/transmission.

http://www.noblecars.com/new-noble-site/home.htm

http://www.1gracing.com/

Yes, importing a non-compliant car is against the law, but lets be real about it; it is not like people are doing anything wrong.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:31 PM
THE HAMMER

None of us ever said it was wrong. I would love it if I could import freely from Japan and other places. But the point of this thread that it is CLEARLY AGAINST THE LAW. There are no loopholes, there are no cheaters tricks. Only the hard way.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Two things:

http://www.1gracing.com/

The Noble M12 GTO-3R and M400 are now available for sale in the United States exclusively from 1g Racing. The rolling chassis' are shipped directly from the manufacturing facility in Port Elizabeth, South Africa to our premises without engine and transmission. This is the same manner Noble UK receives the chassis. The Noble M12 will be sold in limited quantities as a component rolling chassis* only. These units come factory assembled, painted, upholstered, fully instrumented with brakes, suspension, exhaust, wheels, and tires ready to accept your drivetrain. The engine/transaxle is to be installed by the buyer or at the buyer's direction by an independent contractor. Although 1g Racing does not provide drivetrain, there are a number of race engine builders that can supply an engine/transaxle package. Upon request a comprehensive and detailed installation manual can be made available.
I just think that is interesting, and not being a lawyer I am curious about its legality.

Secondly:

As for the kit-car exemption, why doesn't someone actually build (gasp) a kit-car based off a GTR chassis and engine?!?! I'm no expert, but there are a lot of kit car choices out there, so say, for example, get a GTR chassis and engine, and put a 55 T-Bird kit (or another one of your choice that will fit) with custom interior on it. GTR performance with a unique car that you put together yourself. As for the number of OEM parts that can remain and still be considered a kit-car, well I can see the engine block/internals and driveline being stock, but everything else can be replaced with aftermarket parts.

Just an idea that I have never seen only consider before. Do people really want GTR performance or to have the GTR body so they can roll in front of their friends to make them jealous?