Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Toyota Mr2...

Old 12-03-2001, 08:20 AM
--Hebrews 13:2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im selling my Civic Si and I think I want an Mr2 turbo I know little about this car and I was wondering if anyone could through some info about this car and also hows the reliablity on high mileage Mr2 turbos? And finnally if anyone knows of a mr2 t for sale let me know!!
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

--Matthew 6:19-21
Old 12-03-2001, 09:48 AM
not available

MR2 Turboes are great cars. They are high maintinance if you plan on tuning them. You need to always put in Mobile 1 Oil and stuff like that. A high mileage MR2 Turbo is ok as long as it was taken care of. But the turbo is prolly gonna be toast. If you are planning on buying a high mileage turbo plan on rebuilding the turbo as well as replacing the clutch. You can do an upgraded turbo/rebuild for about $500 and a clutch for about 600-700. If you can find a stock mr2 turbo with high mileage for around $7k then that would be worth it. A friend of mine is selling a 91 Turbo with about 90k miles. It is totally hooked up wheels turbo boost controller gauges yada yada yada he is asking $12k for it but I am sure you can get it for $10k and trust me it is worth every penny. Try to get a 93 turbo if you can cause the suspension was updated and there are other little quirks that were straightened out. You will have to be a careful driver though in the rain the car is very tail happy. Most MR2s you will find are meticuously cared for and usually have a higher price tag then what the blue book value says. With about 3k-4k in mods you will be running 12s and basically out-handle anything else on the road.
Old 12-03-2001, 09:55 AM
not available

Stock 91 Turbo stats:

0-60 - 5.9sec
1/4 mile - 14.7sec
weight - 2800lbs
skidpad - .92g
retail in 1991 - $27500
200hp
200lb/ft
7000rpm redline

The full potential of power on the stock turbo is about 300hp.
The full potential of the stock engine is about 350hp.
The full potential of the motor has been undetermined a tuner in Japan recorded 2 792hp runs. You can reliably have over 400hp at the wheels with upgraded internals which is good for 11 second runs on street tires.
Old 12-03-2001, 10:26 AM

Thanks so much for the info Some one has a 91 mr2 for sale with 176000 miles what would you do to make the car reliable? also its for sale for 5800 but is negotiable what do you think?
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Old 12-03-2001, 11:29 PM
FR Pilot

11 second MR2s are pretty unstable.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:39 AM

Yes there fun but high maintinance. Expect to pay out the A** for basic things just as clutch jobs timing belts and other MISC crap. Coming from a civic please dont jump in an mr2 and think you know how to drive it. Thats where most people have a misconception. A MR layout is the most different driving experience. Esspecially 91-92 mr2s they have a Snap Over steer problem. Now when you learn how to drive it correectly and well you will be able to use that snap over steer to your advantage. We all have heard and seen about many twos being destroyed because of a lack of driving skill. My suggestion to you if and when you get it take it on a road/race caourse and practice. And Enjoy I love my 2s.... Yeah that right Mark I said 2s hehehhehe....
My Website: www.powersimagery.com
My Job: Vegas Magazine | Retna LTD | Tao/Lavo/Marquee Las Vegas
Old 12-04-2001, 04:54 AM
not available

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by AustinSi
Thanks so much for the info Some one has a 91 mr2 for sale with 176000 miles what would you do to make the car reliable? also its for sale for 5800 but is negotiable what do you think?
Is it a turbo? If so that is pretty damn cheap for one. With that high a mileage I would have someone check it out before you buy it if you want I can go and take a look at it with you. If it is not a turbo then pass on it cause there are 91 n/as in better shape with less miles for less money.
Old 12-04-2001, 04:56 AM
not available

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by StreetRacingOnline
And Enjoy I love my 2s.... Yeah that right Mark I said 2s hehehhehe....
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat
Old 12-04-2001, 11:32 AM

That would be awesome yeah its a turbo I might go and look at it sometime this week maybe even tommorow The color is a emerald green or something he said it looks black at night.

Quick Reply: Toyota Mr2...