The Video Post Check here for the latest videos!

Navy helicopter crash

Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
diver...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99gt
not sure i can't remember i'll try to email him later an get more info on it
Thanks. I'm interested in this.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Resident Dingo

holy shit that was crazy... sucks for those guys hope they were all okay
Old 05-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by civickid04
yeah this was up b4...their approach was just way off and had too much momentum to pull it back and slow down in time...they almost had it but didnt...sad to see it happen that way, but also the chinoook's are pieces and a half
don't think it was the momentum. watch the video again and you will see damage to the ship . one of the heli. wheels got caught on what looks like cables or something
Old 05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
BOB
Too Old & Too Poor

The quality of that shot makes it hard to see, but the helicopter's left rear tire get's hung in the safety railing as he tries to fly off. They were Marines coming in to do VBSS (visit board search & seziure) training on board that support ship. The pilot's approach was way too low and fast, yet the primary cause of most of the fatalities was that the Marines were out of their seats with their gear on early, and they couldn't get out before the helicopter sank. Not too mention the flotation pods on the undercarriage which are supposed to float the craft, didn't inflate.

There was a senior grunt on that flight who didn't even have to be there too. He decided to do one more cruise before retiring, even though he was already eligible. I think this happened about 4 years ago or so.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:27 PM

i cant see it its not playing it loads and then goes to PUSH PLAY !
Old 05-02-2005, 07:06 PM
SRT-4

Originally Posted by SpyderHatch
i cant see it its not playing it loads and then goes to PUSH PLAY !
Right, now lets follow those directions and click the play button, not the word play.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:01 PM
I have fuzzy eyebrows

Thats a MArine Corp CH-46 E Sea Knight. The approach was horrible...he got caught up in the safety cables that line the outside edge or the deck. Thats all it took.

I flew on board those helos for 6 years in the Marines and did many such landings like you see here. Its a dangerous occupation. Several freinds are at the bottom of the ocean due to this exact type of scenario. Nothing more dangerous than carrier landings...except carrier landings at night

Approx 300 crew cheifs for CH46's in the Corp. Lose about 1 a year while i was in. I was in and flew 6 years. I quit flying the last 3 months because I thought I had pushed my luck enough.

if it's cheap & reliable, it ain't fast, if it's fast & cheap, it ain't reliable, if it's fast & reliable, it ain't cheap
Old 05-03-2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Fast420A
Right, now lets follow those directions and click the play button, not the word play.
your an idioit apparently you cant read ! IT LOADS AND THEN GOES BACK TO PUSH PLAY !