The Video Post Check here for the latest videos!

I'm not bragging but I think 12.9 with a Full Weight stock LS-1 is pretty darn good.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 PM
track rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm not bragging but I think 12.9 with a Full Weight stock LS-1 is pretty darn good.

I'm not bragging but I think 12.9 with a Full Weight stock LS-1 is pretty darn good. Yeah my Terminator is faster, that is not the point, my 99 has blown me away with what I have been able to do with Computerized EFI modern and totally behaved muscle. To me roll racing is ghey and you really can't hook-up much more power than it already has on the street from a dig without slicks, so I worked on how to hook what I already had instead of pumping up some Dyno Queen signature numbers that will just go up in tire smoke. Maybe I learned my lesson because I did just the opposite with my Cobra. With less than 1K miles it became super complicated with higher and higher HP the first summer I owned it, way before I learned to drive it. I take the Snake out and lurk on the weekends, but it isn't nearly as "streetable" now with Kirkey's and no AC. I love my SS and drive it every dry day and a few wet ones too. The seats are comfortable, the hatch holds a lot of crap and of course what isn't there to like about a T-56 and T Tops.

I know some people will want to know what I consider stock power and try to find something to bitch about well my SS LS-1 has K&N filters, SLP air box and bellows, 160* Tstat, Red Line Oil, Chokemaster muffler that came on the car (probably a HP robber), all the pollution controls intact and my own HP Tuners flash. It dyno'd right at 300HP/310TQ. I dunno, that is just good healthy stock LS-1 power to me.

For suspension mods I have Spohn CroMoly welded SFC's, adjustable TA, UCA's, LCA's, PHB, Royal Purple Trani juice, Poly Trani mount, F Swaybar delete, 10 bolt Billet Diff Cover, 4.10's, DS Loop, Nitto 315 DR's on 11" wheels and I slipped some air bags in there so I can go as low as I want with the tire pressure with the ability to put a little spring rate back in for sticky tracks. I do need to replace the clutch with something beefy, the stocker has 40+ passes but the money tree dropped it's leaves last fall, all over the money pit Cobra. Maybe later this summer I can get a Ram PowerGrip HD along with some Kooks headers & Electric cutouts :secret2:. I really want to listen to that LS-1 thru something other than that retarded stock Y pipe. Of course the plans could change if the Cobra breaks at the track.

Last year was really frustrating, I didn't get my Cobra to the track until late summer and struggled bad getting the SRA setup to work for me. I started by running my 99SS in the spring hoping I would get the Cobra to the track soon after the season started. However, after popping off a couple teeth from the Jegs 4.10 gear set, I didn't want to deal with replacing a clutch next and any other additional carnage from racing it hard so the SS was restored to back-up duty after getting a free replacement gear set from Jegs. I did manage 2 12.9's before the rear end clunking began to get bad and wife started questioning my sanity.. "How many cars are in pieces now? Hello, are you nuts!"

Woman, tell me something I don't know and just be glad I don't want to take your WRX race on on Sundays!

I decided to catch up on the footage from last year while watching the Patriot game. GO GIANTS!!!!!
I have another night time SS 12.92 from 5/9/07 to do as well as a couple 11.00 Cobra test passes without the juice from Sept & Oct and I will be caught up. Unfortunately Vista on my new laptop kept me from installing my copy of Pinnacle, so no P in P or fancy effects this time but IMHO this came out OK for WMM. Now I have to order Vegas to do Wide Screen 1080 movies from my new Sony HD movie camera, all my 08 movies are going to be upgraded to 16x9 HD.

This movie is a 3 camera shoot of NHRA non-electric Eliminator action from May 6 of last year, with two interesting in-car point of views. I am matched against a earlier Gen full race 9 sec Camaro with a huge big block and of course a Powerglide + Transbrake but no delay box. I HoleShot the crap out of him with a .007, stand on the brakes hard with a 4 car lead but still breakout with a 12.997. I wasn't very happy, I had him covered easy. Tell me what you think, good or bad.

For best results: right click, save as...

http://04snake.com/movies/99SS-05-06-2007-1299-103.wmv 57Mg

Have a bad ass high speed connection? Like movies to look and sound like, ahh.. movies? try this one *BIG* 154Mg:

http://04snake.com/movies/99SS-05-06...-103-HiRes.wmv

Only got dial up or want to peek at a Low Resolution version first?

http://04snake.com/movies/99SS-05-06...103-LowRes.wmv

Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 PM
The Cyber Brain

Very nice. That was some impressive shifting. Reminds me of myself. The hole shot looked good, a little shacky, but you got out. Like I said before the shifting is top notch. Your trap speed seems to be a bit low, however this is probably do to the larger tires and nice launch. I agree with you 100% on there are too many people who dump too much power into their cars, when the vehicle itself is not set up for the power yet, and or they lack the driver mod. There are plenty of stock cars that can be very quick, if launched properly. I have seen LS1 TransAms and Camaros, as well as Corvettes, that put 30+ more rear wheel horsepower and torque than you, yet cannot muster the times you presented. Rule of them is, you should try to get the power to the ground first, then work from there.

Great run with that healthy, stockish Z28. She's a beauty.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:57 PM
track rat

Originally Posted by Superluminal
Very nice. That was some impressive shifting. Reminds me of myself. The hole shot looked good, a little shacky, but you got out. Like I said before the shifting is top notch. Your trap speed seems to be a bit low, however this is probably do to the larger tires and nice launch. I agree with you 100% on there are too many people who dump too much power into their cars, when the vehicle itself is not set up for the power yet, and or they lack the driver mod. There are plenty of stock cars that can be very quick, if launched properly. I have seen LS1 TransAms and Camaros, as well as Corvettes, that put 30+ more rear wheel horsepower and torque than you, yet cannot muster the times you presented. Rule of them is, you should try to get the power to the ground first, then work from there.

Great run with that healthy, stockish Z28. She's a beauty.
It's a SS (Z28 + working hood scoop) which is a bit more rare, but basically the same. The trap speed is about 4 mph low because I was standing on the brakes before the line.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
The Cyber Brain

Originally Posted by 04snake
It's a SS (Z28 + working hood scoop) which is a bit more rare, but basically the same. The trap speed is about 4 mph low because I was standing on the brakes before the line.
I'm quite aware you car is an SS. Why were you standing on the brakes? Was the track slopped or was it done in some effort to aid the launch?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
track rat

Originally Posted by Superluminal
I'm quite aware you car is an SS. Why were you standing on the brakes? Was the track slopped or was it done in some effort to aid the launch?
I wasn't racing heads up, I was racing with a dial or "bracket racing". That means you have to write on your car how fast your Elimination pass will be before you run. You then leave on a handicapped tree. That is why I started before the other guy, his dial was 9 somethin, mine was 13.13 so I got the difference as a headstart. When I went 12.99, I went to fast, otherwise known as "breaking out". My reaction time was .007, his was .22, so I got a 2 10ths advantage from reaction time alone. You can see me looking for him before the finish line and because I was so far ahead I used the brakes to slow down on purpose to try to keep from going to fast.

You follow? There is more to it than just mashing the gas, you need to be consistent and understand how the weather and track conditions can effect your time or you don't have a chance. Heads up racers tend to look down on Bracket or Sportsman racers, personally I think it takes just as much if not more skill, car control and experience to be a good at it. Instead of working on my car non-stop for a 1/2 dozen races a year and no competition test and tunes, I need to race 1 or 2 times a week against another driver and with handicapped bracket class racing you can do that at your local track, while getting valuable seat time.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 AM
The Cyber Brain

Originally Posted by 04snake
I wasn't racing heads up, I was racing with a dial or "bracket racing". That means you have to write on your car how fast your Elimination pass will be before you run. You then leave on a handicapped tree. That is why I started before the other guy, his dial was 9 somethin, mine was 13.13 so I got the difference as a headstart. When I went 12.99, I went to fast, otherwise known as "breaking out". My reaction time was .007, his was .22, so I got a 2 10ths advantage from reaction time alone. You can see me looking for him before the finish line and because I was so far ahead I used the brakes to slow down on purpose to try to keep from going to fast.

You follow? There is more to it than just mashing the gas, you need to be consistent and understand how the weather and track conditions can effect your time or you don't have a chance. Heads up racers tend to look down on Bracket or Sportsman racers, personally I think it takes just as much if not more skill, car control and experience to be a good at it. Instead of working on my car non-stop for a 1/2 dozen races a year and no competition test and tunes, I need to race 1 or 2 times a week against another driver and with handicapped bracket class racing you can do that at your local track, while getting valuable seat time.

I see. I was unaware you were bracket racing. No wonder you were pissed at the end.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:32 PM

What kind of camera have you used to recotd this ? Great Quality !
Old 01-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I am not a crook.

nice pulls
Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
track rat

Originally Posted by CosmoRide
What kind of camera have you used to record this ? Great Quality !
the equipment used in this film was cheap. A couple of 2YO $200-300 (even less now) miniDV tape handhelds one Sony, the other Samsung, plus one decent older digital Sony camera that takes low resolution .mpg movies. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy messing with them, or if they would show me anything useful at the track, well I now know both things are true for me. The wife handles the lane filming duties pretty good, she was a little shy at first but now she stomps right up there and if anybody says anything to her she just points to my car and tells them to get the hell out of the shot! I found some great interior mounts in 06 and post production messing with the editing software gives me something to do during the long winters up here on the great white North.

So I pulled the trigger this year and dropped one large on a super high quality, super light weight, fit in your palm HD Sony that records WideScreen directly to memory sticks. It has a huge viewing screen, auto everything and I added an extra oversize battery, a hot shoe light for night time pit shots so this year the stuff should look even better!

You can pick up top of the line miniDV tape units for about $200 now so anybody can do what I have done on the cheap. Don't be confused because it uses tape, they are fully digital and the microphones are amazing, no additional mics are used in my movies, I tried external mics a couple times but they just add crackle and get overwhelmed by the engine noise. I have another software title (Pinnacle) for post production, you can see some of my other stuff at 04snake.com but for this movie I used the freebie Windows Movie Maker, it is pretty darn good and the price is right (free w/ Windows XP & Vista).
Old 01-21-2008, 05:13 PM
99ProblemsButABitchAin't1

How many miles do you have on your SS?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!" -Conan