War Stories Fictional Stories about your "Track" conquests ;-)

Highly Modded Purple 5.0 versus Highly modded four cylinder (HIGHWAY RUN)

Old 06-24-2004, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highly Modded Purple 5.0 versus Highly modded four cylinder (HIGHWAY RUN)

Beware, our perception of reality is obscured by our own limited imagination. Just when you think your about to own the car next to you, remember, you can not tell the future. In other words, expect the unexpected.
Upon picking the my car up from Secret Services in St. Petersburg, I knew I was in for a long haul. I had a buddy following me back home. We had brought his expedition to carry my old motor, tranny, and misc. parts back. In all, the trip was to take about eleven hours.

Obviously, my eyes were peeled. I was looking for something, anything. A highway run would be a nice way to bring her home. So, I kept my eyes peeled.

About two hours out of St. Pete, I noticed a purple mustang up ahead. The car was passing an 18-wheeler, deep in the throttle. He had a friend following him too, a basic jeep wrangler.

It didn’t take long to catch up to him. He was cruising at about 70. So, I pull up on his driver’s side, make eye contact, and give him the universal sign for “let’s go” (shaking right index finger in the air).

The guy downshifts. No three honks or anything, he just leaves. The method to his madness was… he gets the jump. Next thing I know, the guy has a car one me. So I lay into it, I must catch this thing. I’m thinking, “this is just a (94-95) mustang 5.0”. The turbo comes to life. RPMs come and go quickly with nearly 400hp in a four-cylinder, as did the mustang.

The mustang owner slows down, as do I. He’s yelling out his window, “Pull off the highway! Let’s go from a dig”! At the same time, he’s displaying the universal sign for money. I shout back, “I can’t! I don’t have traction in first and second”! My Yokohama es100’s (205/45) have a snowball’s chance in hell trying to hold traction from a stop. Plus, I can’t run any lower than the waste gate spring, 1.0 bar. I point down, and say, “Let’s go right here”.

I didn’t really find his prior start tactics very appeasing. So, I tell him to honk three times AND THEN leave. He down shifts, I down shift, both of us slow to about 45-50, and he just hollers “GO”! That caught me off guard; the damn thing got the jump. I lay into the pesky four banger, the turbo makes its presence known, and off we go. The mustang eventually falls behind. Mind you, each time I go after the car, it’s putting up a hell of a fight.

We slow down again. In paranoia, I look in the rear view. I look into oncoming traffic. I had heard earlier, street racing in Florida was a felony. Plus going 100+ on the interstate, well, it can get you into some trouble. Back to what’s in the rear view mirror, the green jeep is there. Its trailing in the mustang’s exhaust and my buddy is following me in his expedition. How they caught up with us, I don’t know.

The mustang and I had slowed down again. Traffic was backed up behind our blockers. We were doing 45MPH in broad daylight on interstate 75. Just as before, I get no warning signal. However, I was expecting it this time. I was listening for the slightest sound of V8 power. He’s off! I’m not gonna let him get by me. I hit full throttle in third. My car sounds really pissed. The noise is like nothing I’ve ever heard. Combine VTEC, a large turbo, and a dump tube. LOTS OF AIR IS BEING MOVED. Third gear comes and goes quickly. The mustang is right next to me! WTF. The blow off valve screams. Fourth gear, the mustang is still there. At this point, we are hauling some major ass. 8500 RPM, I shift to fifth. The blow off valve let’s out a shrilling pssshhh!!! Boost is back. Fifth gear. I’m almost scared at this point. However, I’m not letting off. Miles per hour have far exceeded 100. I have no clue what the gauges are saying. All I know is I’m deep into the throttle, I have white knuckles, my vision is nearly tunneled, and a mean ass mustang is still next to me. The cars are still battling, muscle power versus top end turbo power. In amazement, the mustang fades away.

Seriously frightened and overly joyed, I let out. I think to myself, “That is no ordinary mustang, the guy has to be spraying.” I slow up for the mustang. First thing he says, “That is one bad ass four cylinder. Man, you can really hear that turbo. That blow off valve was sooo loud.” Inside I’m grinning ear-to-ear. There is nothing like V8 respect. He say’s, “How much boost are you running?” I reply, ”15 lbs”. He gives me a thumbs up and slowly fades back. Sweeeeet!

After, I regain control of my bowels (that $h!+ was scary). I call my buddy behind me. He’s freaking out! He say’s, “I flagged that mustang down after the race”. Obviously, I wanted to know what he said. He replies, “The guy said you left him at 130. The last thing he said to me was, that is one fast F#(%ing four cylinder”. That’s all I wanted to hear.

Although the race was over, I still had a hard time understanding why that mustang hung like it did. Little did I know, that wish would come true.

Thirty minutes down the road we pull into a gas station. The mustang was long gone. However, the sheer excitement was still there. After the usual gas station duties, my buddy and I stand there and talk about the race. We go over it and over it. I was in sheer amazement that the mustang stayed with me. I kept saying, I wish I knew what had been done to that thing.

As if divine intervention had taken over, the mustang came trotting down the off ramp. Right in front of the gas station!!! We hysterically flag the guy down and he pulls in. Him and I shake hands, introduce ourselves, and immediately we realize both of us have some questions that need to be answered.

Since we were standing at his car (we had walked up before he had even got out). I asked him what had been done to the car? I could have never imagined this reply. He begins, “It has trick flow aluminum heads, lifters, cams, intake, headers, and an exhaust. Oh, and that last race, I sprayed you a 150 shot”. I almost fell out. I asked him if it had been dynoed. He replies, “400hp and 480tq on the 150 shot.”

Turns out, the guy lives in Gainesville. He had just picked the car up from Ramsey’s shop (V8 guys know the name) in St. Petersburg. HE WAS DOING EXACTLY WHAT I WAS DOING. I told him I had just picked up my car in St.Petersburg at Secret Services. We walked over to my car and I popped the hood. From his reaction, I think I earned some respect for the four-cylinder.

If anyone lives in Gainesville and frequents the local track, look for this guy. He has a purple mustang (said he’s trying to get it into a magazine) and a drag car. Ask him about racing the green four-cylinder turbo car on the highway. He’ll tell you the story. I say that because, I know the end of the story is hard to believe. I’m telling you, it was divine intervention.

edit:
Post with mod list and dyno just for the non-believers:

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=905485
Old 06-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Livin' Large

Default Re: Highly Modded Purple 5.0 versus Highly modded four cylinder (HIGHWAY RUN)

Originally posted by rondigs
“It has trick flow aluminum heads, lifters, cams, intake, headers, and an exhaust. Oh, and that last race, I sprayed you a 150 shot”. I almost fell out. I asked him if it had been dynoed. He replies, “400hp and 480tq on the 150 shot.”

There's only one cam 400 hp with trick flow heads, cam, exhaust, AND a 150 shot, sorry about his shitty luck, a good kill is in order I suppose.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:11 PM
Anti-Flag

Best War Story I read .

Nice kill

If your going to post , please fucking think before you start talking out of your ass !
Old 06-24-2004, 01:20 PM

There's only one cam 400 hp with trick flow heads, cam, exhaust, AND a 150 shot, sorry about his shitty luck, a good kill is in order I suppose.
Sorry, I had a hard time keeping up with his mod list. One thing after another, after another. Ramsey out of St.pete/Tampa built the car. So, I'm pretty sure his mods were ligit.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:27 PM
towards antisocial

great read, great kill!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:04 PM
The little 5.0 that could

Default Re: Re: Highly Modded Purple 5.0 versus Highly modded four cylinder (HIGHWAY RUN)

Originally posted by BigBadBuick
400 hp with trick flow heads, cam, exhaust, AND a 150 shot
That is pretty low, but excellent kill none the less!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:00 PM

Good kill!

But that HP number makes no sense. My '94 made 335 with a bone stock motor on a 150 shot with close to 475 ft/lbs of TQ. With GT-40 heads, custom grind cam and a built shortblock it made 310/310 to the wheels and I never got the dyno the 150 shot. Anyway, good kill.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:12 PM

He said they built/dynoed it at Ramsey's. BTW, the shortblock had not been built on the car.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by rondigs
He said they built/dynoed it at Ramsey's. BTW, the shortblock had not been built on the car.
Not doubting you at all, his numbers just don't seem right. Good kill again.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Resident Asshole

great kill and good story! Sounds like a sweet running car. Keep up the good werk
6/14/43 - 7/11/06 2:24am